13 Replies Latest reply: May 6, 2012 11:38 AM by 929887 RSS

How to obtain entire DB with any extentions?

hi for all
      we have Oracle Server DB at my work. I need to DB of my programs that work with our DB.
      how to gather DB as Back up? If i back up (data pump) of DB , and i restore dump, do i able use same DB at my work?

I need to DB at my work and i would like use it any other palce. how to?
        • 1. Re: How to obtain entire DB with any extentions?
          sb92075
          926884 wrote:
          hi for all
          we have Oracle Server DB at my work. I need to DB of my programs that work with our DB.
          how to gather DB as Back up? If i back up (data pump) of DB , and i restore dump, do i able use same DB at my work?

What is OS name & version of DB Server?

post results from SQL below

SELECT * FROM V$VERSION;
          • 2. Re: How to obtain entire DB with any extentions?
            Mark Malakanov (user11181920)
            Are you going to develop your programs for production DB and want to copy it to another DB for development?
            yes.
            also you can use RMAN to clone DB.
            I think for using in "any other" place you will need another license.
            Technically it is possible - read about export/import, data pump and RMAN.
            • 3. Re: How to obtain entire DB with any extentions?
              sb92075 wrote:
              926884 wrote:
              hi for all

What is OS name & version of DB Server?

SELECT * FROM V$VERSION;
              Win server 2003 and Oracle 10g
              • 4. Re: How to obtain entire DB with any extentions?
                sb92075
                926884 wrote:

SELECT * FROM V$VERSION;
                Win server 2003 and Oracle 10g
                I am impressed with the way you follow directions.
                NOT!
                • 5. Re: How to obtain entire DB with any extentions?
                  Aman....
                  926884 wrote:
                  hi for all

If I understand you correctly, you want a clone db at your home where you want to test your work. Is it correct? If it is than what you can do is that you can install and create the database by downloading the software from Oracle Technology Network(OTN) (http://otn.oracle.com) and use it for your development. Since you haven't shared with us that what's the size of the db of yours at work so its not really possible to suggest anything concrete but I am guessing that you are not a DBA , right ? So if you are not, data pump should be the easiest for you to use.

Just my 2 cents.
                  Aman....
                  • 6. Re: How to obtain entire DB with any extentions?
                    sb92075
                    926884 wrote:
                    hi for all

CEO might not like the idea of having customer data on a system that could get lost, stolen or hacked
                    • 7. Re: How to obtain entire DB with any extentions?
                      krramnik
                      You may take an export dump of the entire database and import it anywhere as a backup database for testing.

During export , you need to specify full=Y to get complete database dump. The syntax for export with all options can be googled. Here is an example. (Note: The DBNAME should be substituted with your actual database name)

From Windows 2003 command prompt:

set ORACLE_SID=DBNAME
                      set LOCAL=DBNAME
                      exp \'/ as sysdba \' file=Database.dmp log=exportdb.log full=y buffer=100000000 DIRECT=Y

You can import the same in destination using following command

imp \'/ as sysdba \' file=Database.dmp log=importdb.log

-----
                      Alternatively , you may use data pump as advised by other members which is faster and advanced than exp utility.
                      • 8. Re: How to obtain entire DB with any extentions?
                        i am very happy for your answers.

ok. I have used SQL server for long time ago. i maked Back up file of my DB (source A) and Restor to another Server (destination B) that run SQL server and any thing in A, now inclued in B.!!
                        now i need same things in Oracle. data pump of Oracle at work has 10 G about.
                        • 9. Re: How to obtain entire DB with any extentions?
                          krramnik
                          Glad to hear that you found the information useful.

Also, please remember to mark all the helpful and correct replies. Thx
                          • 10. Re: How to obtain entire DB with any extentions?
                            ok. I have used SQL server for long time ago. i maked Back up file of my DB (source A) and Restor to another Server (destination B) that run SQL server and any thing in A, now inclued in B.!!
                            • 11. Re: How to obtain entire DB with any extentions?
                              jgarry
                              Ubun2OS wrote:
                              What you call a DB in SS we call a schema. You can export the schema, and then import it into the same schema in your own database, or use the remap functions to import it into a different schema. Either way, you should probably create your schema and tablespaces before you import the data, although the import can create it for you if you don't remap anything, and has a transform option if you want to change things. You can get the ddl for creating things in several ways, including the sqlfile option of impdp.

There are so many ways to do this, we can't advise what exactly is best for you. But again, do you really have permission to take all your company data home? That is a big red flag in most places.

If you have 10g of data, you can probably zip an export of that into 1G, which could fit on a cheap thumb drive.
                              • 12. Re: How to obtain entire DB with any extentions?
                                krramnik
                                Do you have admin permission on the oracle database?
                                If your answer is yes, you should be able to export and import using the commands that i have mentioned.
                                A 10Gb database will generate an export dump which is smaller than 10Gb. That should not be a problem.
                                Did you try the export?
                                • 13. Re: How to obtain entire DB with any extentions?
                                  jgarry wrote:
                                  Ubun2OS wrote:
                                  What you call a DB in SS we call a schema. You can export the schema, and then import it into the same schema in your own database, or use the remap functions to import it into a different schema. Either way, you should probably create your schema and tablespaces before you import the data, although the import can create it for you if you don't remap anything, and has a transform option if you want to change things. You can get the ddl for creating things in several ways, including the sqlfile option of impdp.

There are so many ways to do this, we can't advise what exactly is best for you. But again, do you really have permission to take all your company data home? That is a big red flag in most places.

If you have 10g of data, you can probably zip an export of that into 1G, which could fit on a cheap thumb drive.
                                  oKey. i am new in oracle manege. but your comments was very usefull for me.
                                  yes. I want bakup from Schema on server and i would like use it on new schema without anything(bare schema); is it possible? what's import and export code?