3 Replies Latest reply: May 2, 2012 1:22 AM by Catch-22 RSS

OEL5 - where is the oracle menu group ?

GabyPR
      I just installed oracle database 11g r2 on Oracle Linux 5.7.

After installation I was expecting to see a new menu group with
      several menu items for the oracle software. But there was none.

I installed with the option of "software only" installation.

Is this the way it is in Linux ?

In Linux is normal that the user has to manually add the
      menu group and items for most programs installed ?

I'm new to Linux, seems going back to the stone age.
      I hope I did something wrong or missed a step.
        • 1. Re: OEL5 - where is the oracle menu group ?
          Catch-22
          Oracle Express Edition has a few menu options, but there is no Oracle menu when installing Oracle 11g Enterprise Edition. Oracle RDBMS does not provide a GUI beside the web based EM dbconsole.

Keep in mind that Enterprise Linux is different from typical Linux Desktop distributions. In fact the latest version of Enterprise Linux 6 doesn't even install a graphical user interface by default anymore. A text interface could be considered stone age, but I think the future of GUI towards touchscreens is not going to be very helpful either. Apparently the typical Linux or Unix hardliner prefers command line. You can still install a GUI interfaces in Enterprise Linux, but your mileage will vary.
          • 2. Re: OEL5 - where is the oracle menu group ?
            GabyPR
            Well, I did not knew that OL6 does not have the GUI anymore. I can work with the terminal interface, no problem, I like it.
            The problem is the learning curve required to use it. When starting out the GUI helps a lot.

But anyway, I just missed the menu, when I installed 11g on windows there appeared many menu items, now I have to know
            the command names (file names) for each of the programs I need to run (and also the location if not on the PATH).

But that's what I wanted to know, if it was normal not to see any menu items added on the GUI for oracle.
            If this is the way it is, no problem then.
            • 3. Re: OEL5 - where is the oracle menu group ?
              Catch-22
              Well, I did not knew that OL6 does not have the GUI anymore.
              It does, but like I said it is not enabled by default.
              But anyway, I just missed the menu, when I installed 11g on windows there appeared many menu items, now I have to know the command names (file names) for each of the programs I need to run (and also the location if not on the PATH).
              Running Oracle under Windows is a different story. Linux and Windows follow very different concepts in regard to software implementation and management. Windows and Linux have a different history and philosophy. For instance, you may use Remote Desktop or connect to the server's console to manage a Windows system, but that is not what a typical Linux or Unix administrator would do, unless he has a Microsoft Windows background.