This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: May 8, 2012 2:40 AM by 935743 RSS

Oracle RAC on two different configuration systems

mgunti Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Can we install Oracle RAC (Standard Edition) on severs having different configuration -

1. Server 1 - IBM x3850 - 2 processors occupied, 128 GB RAM, windows server 2008 R2 64 bit
2. Server 2 - IBM 3650 - 2 processors, 64 GB RAM, windows server 2008 R2 64 bit

Thanks & Regards
  • 1. Re: Oracle RAC on two different configuration systems
    Levi-Pereira Guru
    931577 wrote:
    Can we install Oracle RAC (Standard Edition) on severs having different configuration -

1. Server 1 - IBM x3850 - 2 processors occupied, 128 GB RAM, windows server 2008 R2 64 bit
    Yes, Oracle RAC does support a cluster with nodes that have different hardware configurations.

I recommend you read the FAQ.

*RAC: Frequently Asked Questions [ID 220970.1]*
    Can I have different servers in my Oracle RAC? Can they be from different vendors? Can they be different sizes?

Regards,
    Levi Pereira
  • 2. Re: Oracle RAC on two different configuration systems
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    931577 wrote:

Not really recommended, but nothing prevents one from doing this. As long as the o/s is the same (cannot mix Windows and AIX servers for example).

But RAC is not just server nodes. They key components of RAC are the Interconnect and Shared Storage. What are you going to use?

The Interconnect MUST be a private network (dedicated and private switch). With today's standard technology available, it should be at least 10Gb. 1Gb Ethernet can (and likely will) cause serious performance issues as it is slow and latent.

What are you going to use for shared storage? How are you going to address redundancy and high availability (which is what RAC is about) in the storage layer?

And why Windows? Linux is far better suited as cluster o/s. Over 90% of the world fastest 500 cluster systems use Linux. Only 1 of these 500 use Windows.
  • 3. Re: Oracle RAC on two different configuration systems
    mgunti Newbie
    Dear Billy

The storage will be on IBM SAN with fibre channel connectivity for both the servers.

The node A will be only for production and Node B for non production. Pl suggest your recommendations.

We are on windows as all our other servers are on Windows.

Thanks
  • 4. Re: Oracle RAC on two different configuration systems
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    931577 wrote:

The storage will be on IBM SAN with fibre channel connectivity for both the servers.
    This is a standard configuration. And ASM should be used to manage the storage layer for both Grid (cluster registry and voting disks) and RAC (diskgroups for database files).

Typically dual port HBA (Fibre Channel Cards) are used. Which means that the kernel will see the very same SAN device/LUN via more than one I/O path. A multipath driver is needed to deal with this and to present a single logical device to ASM to use.
    The node A will be only for production and Node B for non production.
    Application partitioning is often used in RAC. A 2 node RAC is however a bit on the small side ito flexibility and redundancy. Should node 1 fail, and node 1's processing fail over to node 2, node 2's load would be increasing around 100%. So dealing with fail-over could be problematic due to insufficient RAC resources/servers being available to deal with the fail-over processing.
    That is a pity. Linux is a better choice for clusters ito TCO and flexibility. Oracle sells their RAC h/w (Exadata Database Machine) only with Linux or Solaris as operating systems. And as I mentioned, the vast majority of biggest clusters in the world run Linux.

You have not mentioned the Interconnect. Oracle specifically recommends a dedicated and private Interconnect. Oracle's RAC h/w uses Infiniband. So too does almost 50% of the world's 500 fastest clusters. Infiniband is easy to setup and configure - it is not more difficult than setting up a dedicated Gigabyte Ethernet Interconnect. And it may even be cheaper than GigE.

The Interconnect is very important for RAC performance and scalability.
  • 5. Re: Oracle RAC on two different configuration systems
    onedbguru Pro
    931577 wrote:
    Dear Billy

The node A will be only for production and Node B for non production. Pl suggest your recommendations.
    So, you will configure node1 for database1(instance1) and node2 for database2(instance1)? So much for fail-over... For your proposed configuration, why waste the extra RAC license if you are only going to have the prod db running on a single node? Also Windows???? And you are paying for Windows SERVER licenses as well??? Why? Linux (even Oracle Enterprise Linux) is free and the support cost are far less than for Windows. It is slow and is a nightmare to manage. Learn Linux or AIX or something. I don't do Windows and I certainly would never deploy RAC on Windows. (My deployment of RAC clusters now stands > 75 clusters with the largest at 250TB and NONE of them on Windows).

This is more like RAC-One than RAC. I have a problem using a single RAC cluster to support both my production and non-production work. It also negates the primary reason to use RAC - high availability. In your proposed solution, if your production db goes down on node1(instance1) your application is dead. In RAC, when the middle-tier attempts to reconnect, it would simple connect to a surviving node. You will not have that feature in your proposed configuration.

I also would object to the notion of having production database in the same set of DiskGroups (ASM) or file systems as my non-production data. There are too many times where I have seen a someone execute a process that brought the entire system down due to high I/O - now, if you have this configuration, it is conceivable that your non-prod I/O could affect your production (SAN switch overload, Storage array overload etc...). And all of this does not include the "oops-factor". That's what happens when you thought you were deleting data files for your non-prod database that you want to restore and "accidently" delete production data files.

You asked for suggestions --
    1) buy more hardware
    2) have 1 standalone for non-prod
    3) have 2 nodes for RAC - deploy production only here.

>
    <rude remark removed>

>
    >
    Thanks
    Edited by: onedbguru on May 4, 2012 3:26 PM
  • 6. Re: Oracle RAC on two different configuration systems
    Levi-Pereira Guru
    Guys,

We know that Oracle on UNIX/Linux is more pleasant to manage.
    But we must not forget that Oracle RAC/Non-RAC on Windows is certified by Oracle Corporation, for small enterprises and large enterprises no restriction.

Oracle on Linux and Unix provides best security and performance, but large and critical databases are running on Linux, Unix and Windows.

I have customers who use Windows and Oracle in large/small environment and never experienced the problem. It's due strong security policies, how much less changes in the environment more stable this environment will be.

Has already realized migration of Windows (Intel) to AIX (power) the customer achieved a process on windows take 25 hours and dropped to 2 hours on AIX. But this decision is the company who takes to do this change.

In large companies are not the DBA or Consultants who decide which platform we use. The company have your own policy and theys purchases the software and the DBA only implements and manages. For example: I have see customer buying some HP Hardware and getting license of Windows Free of Charge.
    We must accept and respect it in our environment and on the environment of others.

Regards,
    Levi Pereira
  • 7. Re: Oracle RAC on two different configuration systems
    935743 Newbie
    http://yeskaaroracleworld.blogspot.in/2012/05/rac-real-application-cluster-setup-10g.html

here you can find the perfect RAC setup 100% it works try once.
  • 8. Re: Oracle RAC on two different configuration systems
    935743 Newbie
    http://yeskaaroracleworld.blogspot.in/2012/05/rac-real-application-cluster-setup-10g.html

Here you can find the perfect two node RAC setup . it works 100%. Just try once.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points