2 Replies Latest reply: May 6, 2012 8:33 PM by 674165 RSS

Learning Curve for Rules - coming from HFM 9.3.3 to 11.1.2 Cal Mgr

user3547525
      We are currently are on 9.3.3 for HFM, Planning, and Essbase and contemplating an upgrade to 11.1.2.2. In the documents for 11.1.2.2, I read that we will have to migrate to calc manager for the rules. We are currently on the classic versions for each application rather than EPMA.

Whats the learning curve for moving to calc manager? Are people taking a class on it or picking up on their own?
        • 1. Re: Learning Curve for Rules - coming from HFM 9.3.3 to 11.1.2 Cal Mgr
          user10767728
          My personal experience with CalcManager and our HFM rules: attended a one-day customized training on CalcManager and decided to stay away from it as long as possible. :-)

As I understand it, it's not really a must to use Calculation Manager, but you can by application choose, whether you use it or not. I found CalcManager and (our) HFM rules to be a relatively hard combination to get working. More generally speaking, I tend to think CalcManager works better with Essbase/Planning where the calculation script is anyway split, whereas in HFM the whole Sub Calculate() is executed and needs therefore be expressed as one chart/drawing/flow in the Calculation Manager as well.
          • 2. Re: Learning Curve for Rules - coming from HFM 9.3.3 to 11.1.2 Cal Mgr
            Hi all,

I just completed an installation of 11.1.2.2 and I am testing various applications in order to assess the situation and propose to my clients.

Calculation manager is not the only way to maintain your rule file. As I have seen Oracle has discuntinued the Rule Editor but you can use any notepad to edit your rules (Notepad ++ for example) and load the rule file Workspace.

I am not really impressed from calculation manager yet. Definately in one of the following versions we will have to migrate all the rule files but I do not believe that we can do that in this version. For example in my files there is a huge issue of displaying the variables....

Regards,

Athanasios