5 Replies Latest reply: May 7, 2012 7:18 PM by Gary Graham-Oracle RSS

Import an excel file into SQL Developer and create a table

Java Man
      Hello everyone!

I have an Excel file I want to Import into SQL Developer. Do I need to Create a table first than import the file into the table?

Or is there a way to import an Excel file and it automatically generate or turn into a table?

I would really appreciate any directions or explanations.

Thanks everyone!

Java Man
        • 1. Re: Import an excel file into SQL Developer and create a table
          Irian
          You can do both.

To import the file and automatically create a new table you can simply right click on the table node of the connection you want to use and choose import data, a wizard will pop up guiding you trough the table creation and data import process.

To import data into an existing table You follow the same procedure but right click on the already existing table you want to import data into.
          • 2. Re: Import an excel file into SQL Developer and create a table
            Java Man
            Irian wrote:
            You can do both.

To import the file and automatically create a new table you can simply right click on the table node of the connection you want to use and choose import data, a wizard will pop up guiding you trough the table creation and data import process.

To import data into an existing table You follow the same procedure but right click on the already existing table you want to import data into.
            Good morning,

I did exactly that:

I clicked the table node under the Connection and click Import, a window open so I can select the file and I select the file and click okay. But that's it, nothing else happens, there is no other Window that ask me to further process the import.

I do not see the file listed amongst the table.The only place I see the file is when I click the file log.

Thanks you!
            • 3. Re: Import an excel file into SQL Developer and create a table
              Joyce Scapicchio-Oracle
              I suspect that you are having memory problems opening the excel file. This is a known issue with excel files for importing and exporting. Check this post for suggestions:

Re: Export to Excel Hangs to Excel Hangs ]

Joyce Scapicchio
              SQLDeveloper Team
              • 4. Re: Import an excel file into SQL Developer and create a table
                Java Man
                Joyce Scapicchio wrote:
                I suspect that you are having memory problems opening the excel file. This is a known issue with excel files for importing and exporting. Check this post for suggestions:

Re: Export to Excel Hangs to Excel Hangs ]

Joyce Scapicchio
                SQLDeveloper Team
                Thanks for the reply but the problem was I needed to convert the file to a csv format. To do this open the file in Excel and re-save as CSV Comma Delimiter. Don't worry about data-types because when the file is uploaded to SQL Developer, you will have the chance to set all the parameters, data-types and so on.

Once I did this and try opening the file, the setup window opened and I was able to do all the additional tweaking and convert the data to a table.

Because of this I am speculating that SQL Developer does not work with Excel XLSX extension.

Thanks again!

JM
                • 5. Re: Import an excel file into SQL Developer and create a table
                  Gary Graham-Oracle
                  Hi JM,

The XLSX extension is a newly supported type in the latest production release (3.1). In earlier releases you should have seen a Data Import Wizard information dialog stating "There are no readers registered for the xlsx type."

-Gary