6 Replies Latest reply: May 4, 2012 3:59 PM by Levi Pereira RSS

Convert external redundancy diskgroup to high redundancy

Boochi
      DB Version: 11.2.0.1

Could someone let me know how to upgrade the ASM external redundancy diskgroup to high redundancy diskgroup by adding the two additional mirror disks?.
        • 1. Re: Convert external redundancy diskgroup to high redundancy
          Levi Pereira
          Hi,

To change the redundancy level, you must create another disk group with the appropriate redundancy and then move the files to the new disk group.

See this note:
          How To Move The Database To Different Diskgroup (Change Diskgroup Redundancy) [ID 438580.1]

What is the size of Diskgroup?

Regards,
          Levi Pereira
          • 2. Re: Convert external redundancy diskgroup to high redundancy
            Boochi
            I saw this note already. This is applicable for Release 10.1 to 11.1. Is it same for 11.2 too?. I want to migrate the OCR Voting ASM diskgroup from external to high redundancy. I know adding and removing the ocr and voting to migrate from one diskgroup to another. But, am looking for other best options.
            • 3. Re: Convert external redundancy diskgroup to high redundancy
              Levi Pereira
              Hi,

Far as I know there is no easy way of accomplish it. That note apply to 11.2 too.

Even using 11.2 to change the redundancy level, you must create another disk group with the appropriate redundancy and then move the files to the new disk group.

Because it's change logical structure of Diskgroup. (The only option is move the data from one (external) to another (normal or high) logical structure)

To change OCR and Voting Files to another diskgroup is easy and this task can be done without donwtime.

To change ASMSPFILE to another DISKGROUP you will need downtime of clusterware. Because ASM will release old SPFILE and Diskgroup only when ASM is down.

To change Database files the ASM will generate new file names during copy, so both Diskgroup and Filenames must be updated on Controlfile and this change is can be done more easily when using RMAN as note describe.

What is your concern ? Time of downtime? Volume Space?

PS: The renamedg (11.2 only) tool enables you to change the name of a cloned disk group. But this is not your case.

Levi Pereira
              • 4. Re: Convert external redundancy diskgroup to high redundancy
                Boochi
                Thanks. The information what you have provided is very helpful, especially about ASM spfile.
                • 5. Re: Convert external redundancy diskgroup to high redundancy
                  Boochi
                  I'm unable to migrate the voting disks to high redundancy diskgroup. Failed with the below error. Any idea why?.

$crsctl replace votedisk +OCRVOTE
                  KGFCHECK kgfnStmtExecute01c: ret == OCI_SUCCESS: FAILED at kgfn.c:1530
                  Failed to create voting files on disk group OCRVOTE.
                  Change to configuration failed, but was successfully rolled back.
                  CRS-4000: Command Replace failed, or completed with errors.
                  • 6. Re: Convert external redundancy diskgroup to high redundancy
                    Levi Pereira
                    Hi,

See/put here the occsd.log and alert_log of ASM.

Levi Pereira