3 Replies Latest reply: May 8, 2012 10:11 AM by 877730 RSS

ZFS Vs UFS for root partition?

Hi,

I m using T series sun servers with 6 SAS drives. I am having Hardware RAID controller. Now i want root drive mirroring that is with 2 hard drives and want ZFS pooling for rest of 4 hard drives. Now i m confused between UFS and ZFS for root partition and implementation of Hardware RAID 1 and ZFS mirroring for root drive.

Can anybody guide me
      (a) what is best option RAID1 or ZFS for root drive?
      (b) is it better choice to use Hardware RAID 1 for root drives with ZFS pooling for rest of 4 drives?

Regards
        • 1. Re: ZFS Vs UFS for root partition?
          (a) what is best option RAID1 or ZFS for root drive?
          (b) is it better choice to use Hardware RAID 1 for root drives with ZFS pooling for rest of 4 drives?
          ZFS-mirror is better choice for root.
          • 2. Re: ZFS Vs UFS for root partition?
            gleng
            The preferred method is to allow ZFS control the physical disks. I would avoid the hardware RAID.

The choice of ZFS or UFS for boot/root disks depends on the level of Solaris. If you choose UFS, I recommend using SVM to mirror the disks not the hardware RAID.

The combination of ZFS boot/root and zones can cause problems with Live Upgrade, if you are planning on using Live Upgrade.

Many of the T series sever models have a lot of compute power. It is very unusual to find an application that can utilize the compute power using just the internal disks.

HTH,
            GlenG
            • 3. Re: ZFS Vs UFS for root partition?
              Thanx i will definitely go for ZFS.
              but one i couldent get ur last point that is " Many of the T series sever models have a lot of compute power. It is very unusual to find an application that can utilize the compute power using just the internal disks."

and one thing more when i m trying to write the boot record on zfs root mirror drive by using this command:-

installboot -F zfs /usr/platform/`uname -i`/lib/fs/zfs/bootblk /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s0

then i m getting this message:

/usr/platform/uname -i/lib/fs/zfs/bootblk: File not found

any suggestions plz????