4 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2012 7:05 PM by acrsny

How to migrate legacy (9i) web apps to work with 11g

acrsny
      Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but, here goes: I have several pl/sql packages that were developed (by hand) and used in a 9i environment, using the old Apache listener setup, with DADS and http.conf files. What I'm looking for is the quickest, easiest way to be able to run these packages in the 11g world. What listener is required, configuration needs, etc... preferably WITHOUT having to utilize APEX. I can't seem to find what I need from all of the docs out there, or, maybe I'm just not seeing it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
        • 1. Re: How to migrate legacy (9i) web apps to work with 11g
          Prabodh
          For one, you can run OHS/Apache against 11g. There is nothing to stop you from doing that.

However, I am not sure how you are using the packages in OHS. Are you referring to calling procedure through URL?
          If yes, then you can do the same using ApexListener as well; exactly the way you did with OHS.
          a) You have use /apex/proc_name=.. syntax
          b) You have to allow access the procedure /function in ApexListener Security section.

Regards,
          1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to migrate legacy (9i) web apps to work with 11g
            Udo
            Just to make the picture complete: You can see each APEX Listener instance as one DAD, as each can be configured to connect to a certain schema. For APEX, this will usually be APEX_PUBLIC_USER, but you can configure any database user you want. If you want both APEX and some custom DAD, you have to create a second APEX Listener instance. Depending on the JEE Container you use, this could be done by deploying the APEX Listener twice, e.g. first to context "/apex" (the default scenario) and second to your PLSQL-context (e.g. "/plsql").

-Udo
            • 3. Re: How to migrate legacy (9i) web apps to work with 11g
              jflack
              I would add that if your application expects database authentication - i.e. your DAD has Authentication set to Basic, and does not have a fixed username and password, you will not be able to use the ApEx listener without making a few changes to your application. You'll need to add your own authentication pages and methods, and expect that users will all connect as a shared proxy account. The other authentication modes are possible, but are not configured the way they are in a DAD and you may still have to make a few changes to your application.
              • 4. Re: How to migrate legacy (9i) web apps to work with 11g
                acrsny
                The packages are called directly via URL. i.e.: http://servername/pls/dadname/package.proc

Security is handled via the DAD setup, authentication set to "basic". Some entries use a "generic" userid/password, others require the user to provide credentials.

Looks like I need to get to know APEX a little better.

Thanks for the replies. I'll have to do some research and testing before I mark this as answered.

If I have any more questions, I'll be back. Meanwhile, you've all been helpful. Thanks again!

Edited by: acrsny on May 7, 2012 12:04 PM