1 2 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2012 4:45 PM by jgarry

ORACLE Apps VS ORACLE DBA

Hello friends,

I m 2012 passout. I like to start my career with ORACLE,i ve two options in mind and want to choose one out of these as my career path
      1st= ORACLE Apps
      2nd=ORACLE DBA

Please guide me which one is better for future perspective.
        • 1. Re: ORACLE Apps VS ORACLE DBA
          sb92075
          932109 wrote:
          Hello friends,

I m 2012 passout. I like to start my career with ORACLE,i ve two options in mind and want to choose one out of these as my career path
          1st= ORACLE Apps
          2nd=ORACLE DBA

Please guide me which one is better for future perspective.
          Any expectation to be DBA any time this decade is not realistic.
          • 3. Re: ORACLE Apps VS ORACLE DBA
            >
            1st= ORACLE Apps
            >

please, the guy is looking for help. not sarcastic answers.
            • 4. Re: ORACLE Apps VS ORACLE DBA
              Mark Malakanov (user11181920)
              I am serious.
              Re: Advise for Right Career Path

Nobody (no human) will need to do tuning SQLs, backing up and recovering DBs, patching, upgrading... All such routines will be done by software.
              • 5. Re: ORACLE Apps VS ORACLE DBA
                >
                Nobody (no human) will need to do tuning SQLs, backing up and recovering DBs, patching, upgrading... All such routines will be done by software.

>

Oh come on, thats like telling someone they dont need to learn to drive because they seen a video with a car that drove itself in a straight line.
                • 6. Re: ORACLE Apps VS ORACLE DBA
                  jgarry
                  user11181920 wrote:
                  I am serious.

...Just as soon as we implement that [url http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_of_the_future] paperless office.
                  • 7. Re: ORACLE Apps VS ORACLE DBA
                    Aman....
                    user11181920 wrote:
                    I am serious.

Are you ? Where did you read it from that all of this will be done one day without involving humans ? How do you think that is going to work , if it becomes possible even , in so many diversified environments ?

Aman....
                    • 8. Re: ORACLE Apps VS ORACLE DBA
                      Aman....
                      If you are a pass out if 2012 and looking for a job , am not sure that you are entitled to mamake options. Rather than making these , you should try to get into a job and learn what you are made to work upon. I would suggest that don't bother about making preferences . Remember even to do oracle apps , you do need to know about database.
                      Aman....
                      • 9. Re: ORACLE Apps VS ORACLE DBA
                        Are you ?
                        sure.
                        Where did you read it from that all of this will be done one day without involving humans ?
                        First I read it somewhere in Oracle's 11g brochure couple of years ago.
                        I know, these brochures were oriented to managers.
                        I also was skeptical about what Oracle was saying.

But then when I saw that with every version Oracle (and other vendors too) are steadily moving towards that direction.
                        Every version of Oracle is more and more automated.
                        And that automation, comparing with humans, takes into consideration much more factors, before it offers or implements a solution.

I remember times where we placed tables into FROM clause of SQL in particular order, and calculated optimal storage parameters for tablespaces and even for tables, lay them out on HDD spindles, calculated size of SGA, wrote scripts for backup, manually checked alert log...

where all this now? IN PAST.
                        Oracle does all of it much better in most of the cases.
                        And will do even better, and even more.
                        How do you think that is going to work , if it becomes possible even , in so many diversified environments ?
                        Exactly. Software much better figures out all factors it needs from an environment.
                        And it better adjusts to diversified environments, unless a degree of diversity of a particular environment goes beyond some limits.
                        It is like a biology evolution - the more brain a creature has the more it is adaptive.
                        And RDBMS software gets more and more "brain".

It is a Progress. And it is inevitable.
                        And a general rule for someone who wants to survive on labor market - choose a job where you will not be replaced by some smart software or by robots for a long period.

And what I am seeing, many of duties and routines of Database Administrator will be done by software very very soon, if not already.

DBA will not be loaded with dumb routine tasks, so DBA can maintain more databases... and not that many DBAs will be required.
                        • 10. Re: ORACLE Apps VS ORACLE DBA
                          Billy~Verreynne
                          Yes, s/w is evolving - capable of more self-management and automation. But evolution also means that it gets new and complex features. Having to deal with bigger data volumes. In tighter and smaller processing windows.

Likewise, business and IT requirements are evolving. This means that the type and nature of the human side of DBA work is evolving too.

I've see the death of the programmer announced in the early 90's with the advent of CASE tools that would have rendered the human software engineer as a relic of the past. A decade ago, I've seen many airing the opinion that this is happening to the DBA.

There are more developers and more DBAs today in IT than a decade ago. Go and figure...
                          • 11. Re: ORACLE Apps VS ORACLE DBA
                            jgarry
                            Billy  Verreynne  wrote:
                            Yes, s/w is evolving - capable of more self-management and automation. But evolution also means that it gets new and complex features. Having to deal with bigger data volumes. In tighter and smaller processing windows.

Likewise, business and IT requirements are evolving. This means that the type and nature of the human side of DBA work is evolving too.
                            http://www.oracle-base.com/blog/2011/05/12/oracle-its-not-for-newbies/

>
                            I've see the death of the programmer announced in the early 90's with the advent of CASE tools that would have rendered the human software engineer as a relic of the past. A decade ago, I've seen many airing the opinion that this is happening to the DBA.
                            Don't you mean the [url http://programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/9539/what-trends-do-you-see-for-your-profession-in-30-years]60's?

>
                            There are more developers and more DBAs today in IT than a decade ago. Go and figure...
                            The relative cost has come down, but the relative scarcity hasn't, so though roles may evolve, it will still be well remunerated for those who can renumerate.
                            • 12. Re: ORACLE Apps VS ORACLE DBA
                              Yes. Sounds convincing.
                              However yours and mine are just theories.
                              To find the actual trend we need to analyze some stats from job sites.

for example, if we look into first we find in Google, here http://computer-careers-review.toptenreviews.com/

we see that demand for DBAs currently is like 7.5 times less than for Software Engineers,
                              and Projected job openings in 10 years will be 12 times less - 24,400 offers - lowest in IT.

It somewhat confirms my theory about diminishing of demand on DBAs.
                              Yes, we will not disappear completely, but ...
                              • 13. Re: ORACLE Apps VS ORACLE DBA
                                EdStevens
                                user11181920 wrote:
                                I am serious.

Yeah, right. You just haven't been around long enough to have seen every such prediction in every area of IT fall flat. When I started in 1981 they were predicting the death of programming within a decade. And the paperless office? Yeah, right.

The specific skills and tasks change and evolve, but the need for the fundamental skills (an analytical mind and capability of abstract thought being paramount) only increases. So yes, if one thinks in terms of a certain course of instruction as 'punch the ticket' preparation for a specific job title and that job title being your career, then yes, one has to worry about becoming obsolete. In fact, with that thinking one is probably obsolete before they start. But if one sees an entry job as an opportunity for growth, and every task assigned as an opportunity to expand ones knowledge in several directions at once, and sees their 'career' not in terms of job title but in terms of bringing value to their employer ... then one will never be obsolete and should always be in demand.

I never set out to be a DBA, and given the right circumstances could leave it in a heartbeat. I never even set out for a career in IT. In 1981 I was an unemployed music teacher. I managed to land a job with a government agency as a programmer analyst trainee. It wasn't a career, it was a job ... it was better than unemployment. I never sought advancement, I never sought movement. I simply tried to do the best I could at whatever task I was given to earn my paycheck that month. But by not limiting myself to some pre-concieved idea of 'career', I've actually made a very good career.
                                • 14. Re: ORACLE Apps VS ORACLE DBA
                                  EdStevens
                                  user11181920 wrote:
                                  Are you ?
                                  sure.
                                  Where did you read it from that all of this will be done one day without involving humans ?
                                  First I read it somewhere in Oracle's 11g brochure couple of years ago.
                                  I know, these brochures were oriented to managers.
                                  I also was skeptical about what Oracle was saying.

But then when I saw that with every version Oracle (and other vendors too) are steadily moving towards that direction.
                                  Every version of Oracle is more and more automated.
                                  And that automation, comparing with humans, takes into consideration much more factors, before it offers or implements a solution.

I remember times where we placed tables into FROM clause of SQL in particular order, and calculated optimal storage parameters for tablespaces and even for tables, lay them out on HDD spindles, calculated size of SGA, wrote scripts for backup, manually checked alert log...

where all this now? IN PAST.
                                  and replaced by the need for different task.

But not replaced by the need for someone capable of analytic thinking.
                                  Oracle does all of it much better in most of the cases.
                                  And will do even better, and even more.
                                  How do you think that is going to work , if it becomes possible even , in so many diversified environments ?
                                  Exactly. Software much better figures out all factors it needs from an environment.
                                  And it better adjusts to diversified environments, unless a degree of diversity of a particular environment goes beyond some limits.
                                  It is like a biology evolution - the more brain a creature has the more it is adaptive.
                                  And RDBMS software gets more and more "brain".

It is a Progress. And it is inevitable.
                                  And a general rule for someone who wants to survive on labor market - choose a job where you will not be replaced by some smart software or by robots for a long period.
                                  Better yet, don't define yourself by your "job." Don't let your "job" or your "job title" limit you.

And what I am seeing, many of duties and routines of Database Administrator will be done by software very very soon, if not already.

DBA will not be loaded with dumb routine tasks, so DBA can maintain more databases... and not that many DBAs will be required.
                                  1 2 Previous Next