zooid Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

Setup is:
Application Express 4.0.2.00.07
Oracle Entreprise database 11g r2 v 11.2.0.3
BI Publisher 11.1.1.6.0
Oracle HTTP 11.1.1.6.0

I would like to print a report in PDF format using BIP called from an application in apex. I have created the report using BIP Desktop and I can run the report from the BIP web interface.

When I use a button and branch in the apex application to call the report, you need to be authenticated (known by BIP) to get the result. That's something I want to avoid as I don't want the application user to login into BIP when coming from APEX

I have followed the following example [Call BI Publisher report from APEX|http://dgielis.blogspot.com.es/2007/12/call-bi-publisher-report-from-apex.html]

The example states that to avoid this you need to login to BIP and go to: Admin - Security Center - Security Configuration and select the "Allow guest access" and provide the "Guest folder name" where the report is located.

However, in my BIP this area of the Security Configuration is disabled (i.e. grey out) and I am unable to change as stated by the example.

I have found the following article in My Oracle Support, "BI Publisher 11g Can the Guest User Be Enabled With a Catalog Repository? [ID 1269481.1] which states the following:

*Guest user cannot be used with a Catalog Repository.*
*Guest Access is only available when using a file based Repository.*

I am not sure if this is related to my problem?

Would someone please let me know if it is possible to change BIP from Catalog Repositoty to File Based repository if this is my problem? or if there exist a way to pass the authentication credentials from Apex to BIP on the call to print the report? or some other method by which the application user in apex does not need to login to BIP to view/download the PDF report?

Thank you

Edited by: zooid on May 4, 2012 3:33 PM

Edited by: zooid on May 4, 2012 10:21 PM
  • 1. Re: Apex and BI Publisher
    zooid Newbie
    OK I found the problem.

I have been advised by a BI Publisher guru that the following article in My Oracle Support, "BI Publisher 11g Can the Guest User Be Enabled With a Catalog Repository? [ID 1269481.1] which states the following:

*Guest user cannot be used with a Catalog Repository.*
    *Guest Access is only available when using a file based Repository.*

Is correct.

A file system repository is only valid for BI Publisher installed standalone (without OBIEE), so no you cannot simply change the repositry unless you do not want to use BIP and OBIEE together, in which case it makes more sense to have a separate isntall of BIP.

As for other methods to call BI Publsiher, Web Services are the best method available to call BIP from an external application.

Edited by: zooid on May 4, 2012 11:44 PM

Edited by: zooid on May 4, 2012 11:45 PM
  • 2. Re: Apex and BI Publisher
    Gus C Journeyer
    Try this blog

http://dgielis.blogspot.de/2007/12/call-bi-publisher-report-from-apex.html

Gus
  • 3. Re: Apex and BI Publisher
    zooid Newbie
    Hi Gus C,

That is the same blog I mentioned my original post, but thank you none the less.

The problem I have unfortunately does not have a simple solution. i.e. I can only really address my setup by using web service and I do not have the time at this point to go that this path. However it is something which i will need to address the moment I have the time. In the mean time authentication against BIP is the only real possibility.

Regards

daniel
  • 4. Re: Apex and BI Publisher
    zooid Newbie
    The answer for non file based BI Publisher repository is web-service.
  • 5. Re: Apex and BI Publisher
    Marc Sewtz Pro
    Hi,

I might have missed a specific requirement for having to define and store your report in BI Publisher directly, but in most cases, it is recommended to store your report definition as well as your report layout / template in APEX instead. The method of integrating APEX with BI Publisher was developed specifically so that you won't have to re-authenticate. The way this works is that APEX executes your query, generated an XML file for your data and sends this off the BI Publisher, along with your template, and BI Publisher simply turns this into PDF, without actually having to access the database.

To get started, go to your APEX app, Shared Components, and create a report query there. Then take the XML or XML Schema export from your report query, load this into the BI Publisher Word Plug-In, design your template, save the template as an RTF file, load this into APEX as a report layout, associate the layout with your report query and then hook up the report query in your APEX app.

Regards
    Marc
  • 6. Re: Apex and BI Publisher
    zooid Newbie
    Hi Mark,

Thank you for your help. I have tried your sample as per your blog http://marcsewtz.blogspot.com.es/2012/02/dynamic-images-in-pdf-what-32k-limit.html but have found that the moment I place the blog images into a repeat group I get errors. I am not sure what I am doing wrong but it must be something very simple as it works perfectly when I do not use a repeat group with images.

Once I have the time I will revisit your sample prior to going down the path of the web-service as I am somewhat scared of the potential issues to be addressed with the web service.

Regards

Daniel

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points