12 Replies Latest reply: May 12, 2012 6:21 PM by Srini Chavali-Oracle RSS

Journeyer?

Dave Rabone
      more PC than Journeyman I guess ... but it's horrible

Apprentice is gender neutral and a real word.
        • 1. Re: Journeyer?
          SomeoneElse
          Journeyman is gender neutral.

The -man suffix does not mean male it means human.

(that is, unless you subscribe to feminist dogma)
          • 2. Re: Journeyer?
            Dave Rabone
            I know it is ... and I think it's a great word.

However it has been replaced by "jouneyer" here.

Having looked at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journeyman using "apprentice" instead is not correct however ...
            • 3. Re: Journeyer?
              Dogma or no dogma, we have to be responsive to complaints in this area :)
              • 4. Re: Journeyer?
                BluShadow
                I don't see any issue with "Journeyman".
                It's a word in the English language used to refer to a person (of either gender) who is at a certain level of skill.

We could all get politically correct on a stupid level (and some people do, especially politicians), but where does that stupidity end? After all, we're only hu man people after all. ;)
                • 5. Re: Journeyer?
                  Paulie
                  >

See end of this post for the coolest word in the English language ;)

Dogma or no dogma, we have to be responsive to complaints in this area :)
                  And what about our complaints about this shocking abuse of the English language?

I was going to start a thread on this point also.

There are plenty of gender-neutral words that would have done it. This "jouneyer" abomination
                  is like "waitron" or "server" in restaurants - what on earth is the matter with the words waiter/waitress
                  or barman/barmaid?

It's PC gone made.

A replacment for the abomination might be:
                  apprentice? As has been mentioned already in this thread
                  fellow-traveller? implying sympathising but not yet being fully initiated  
                  novitiate? One has been allowed entry but is at the beginning
                  probationer? I.e. above no status - but still low.
                  rookie? I like this one. You've been through boot camp, but you're just at the beginning of the road
                  auxiliary?
                  We could completely change the entire system.

There are 5 levels - Noob, Journeyman, Pro, Expert, Guru

Why not:
                  The 5 pillars of Islam?
                  The 5 books of the Torah?
                  The 5 wounds of Jesus?
                  The 5 elements: (water, fire, earth, wood, and metal)?
                  The 5 rings of the Olympic flag?
                  The 5 basketball positions?
                  The 5 generations of the X86 architecture? (like this one - very appropriate)
                  And the best word in the English language can be found here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discordianism#Pentabarf

Paul...
                  • 6. Re: Journeyer?
                    jgarry
                    How about the dogma of correct word usage? Journeyer means something different than Journeyman.

Well, OK, we are all travelers in this ginormous data set. Or [url http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/apr/27/no-need-banish-gyp-offensive/]Gypsies.

What brought about the change?
                    • 7. Re: Journeyer?
                      SomeoneElse
                      Were there any complaints that "Guru" is offensive to followers of Hinduism?
                      • 8. Re: Journeyer?
                        Paulie
                        >

Were there any complaints that "Guru" is offensive to followers of Hinduism?
                        And have the Oracle mailing lists been clogged with hookers complaining about the shocking misuse of the word "pro"?

Paul...
                        • 9. Re: Journeyer?
                          Dave Rabone
                          Paulie wrote:

See end of this post for the coolest word in the English language ;)

There are 5 levels - Noob, Journeyman, Pro, Expert, Guru

Why not:
                          The 5 pillars of Islam?
                          The 5 wounds of Jesus?
                          And the best word in the English language can be found here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discordianism#Pentabarf
                          What about "The Famous Five" ... can't remember the names but one of them was a dog. (reference completely lost on anyone who's not English and of a certain age I'm afraid).

I love your reference though ... read the Illuminatus trilogy in my misspent ...
                          • 10. Re: Journeyer?
                            Paulie
                            >
                            The 5 pillars of Islam?
                            The 5 wounds of Jesus?
                            What about "The Famous Five" ... can't remember the names but one of them was a dog.
                            I thought about that, but it's not a universal cultural reference.

(reference completely lost on anyone who's not English
                            Or from New Zealand, Australia, Canada, Ireland or anywhere else the pernicious influence of the evil Blyton has prevailed.

and of a certain age I'm afraid).
                            That is encouraging that she's not being read anymore - enough to make one want to go out and have "lashings of (!ginger) beer".

I love your reference though ... read the Illuminatus trilogy in my misspent ...
                            Thanks - how could one resist a word like pentabarf? ;)

Paul...
                            • 11. Re: Journeyer?
                              SomeoneElse
                              Thanks - how could one resist a word like pentabarf?
                              The result of a heavy night of drinking.
                              • 12. Re: Journeyer?
                                Srini Chavali-Oracle
                                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Famous_Five_%28series%29

Srini