This discussion is archived
9 Replies Latest reply: Sep 8, 2012 3:03 AM by Udo RSS

'apex' is undefined   while running the apex url

hsemar Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

Need immediate help on this.....

The apex url stating the following message. Apex listener configuration is good.

Line: 17
Char: 1
Code: 0
URI: http://10.5.249.62:8080/apex/f?p=4550:1:868071103172901

Line: 86
Char: 1
Code: 0
URI: http://10.5.249.62:8080/apex/f?p=4550:1:868071103172901

Several posts says to configure the image path tried running the sqls reset_image_prefix.sql, apxldimg.sql..etc.

But the problem still persists.. Can any one help me on this immediately..

Thanks,
  • 1. Re: 'apex' is undefined   while running the apex url
    hydra63125 Newbie
    PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR DADS.CONF FILE WHETHER IT CONTAINS THE DADS ENTRY FOR APEX OR NOT
  • 2. Re: 'apex' is undefined   while running the apex url
    Udo Guru
    Hi,
    Several posts says to configure the image path tried running the sqls reset_image_prefix.sql, apxldimg.sql..etc.
    I don't think that the images prefix will do anything here, and apxldimg.sql is only relevant when you use the Embedded PL/SQL Gateway (EPG) running inside the database internal XDB HTTP Server to host your APEX. It doen't affect APEX Listener at all.
    My best guess is that you ran into a port conflict and the service that answers your request is not the one hosting your APEX Listener.
    Do you see any hint regarding the issuer in the error message you've quoted?
    A common problem is in fact the XDB HTTP Server, because it is enabled on most databases after a fresh install and has the same default port that APEX Listener uses as well (8080).
    In that case, you could either disable that service or change the port it uses, or ou could change the port used by APEX Listener.
    If you can't find the cause with that advice, please provide some additional information on your scenario, e.g. where did you start your APEX Listener and how, where is your database located (same host as APEX Listener?), do you see any error messages in APEX Listener's log, etc.

-Udo
  • 3. Re: 'apex' is undefined   while running the apex url
    868258 Newbie
    Hi,

I am experiencing the same problem as the OP.

Win 7 64bit with 11g db (64bit version) and Apex 4.1.1 installed.

APEX Listener also installed as standalone instance as per installation instructions but cannot access the admin page to create a workspace.

All components are installed on the same machine.

APEX listener is started as follows:
    java -Dapex.home=D:\apex -Dapex.images=D:\oracle\app\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\apex\images -Dapex.port=8585 -Dapex.erase -jar D:\apex\apex.war

When I navigate to http://localhost:8585/apex I get a blank screen with the javascript 'apex is undefined' error.

This is my first time using APEX so not even sure where to look for log files etc...any help will be much appreciated.

Mike

Edited by: OracleMike on 20-Aug-2012 14:48

Edited by: OracleMike on 20-Aug-2012 14:54
  • 4. Re: 'apex' is undefined   while running the apex url
    Udo Guru
    Hi Mike,

how did you install your APEX? I think one of the following two things went wrong. The most likely one is, that the path you've given APEX Listener to take the images from doesn't fit to your APEX version:
    D:\oracle\app\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\apex\images
    Seems to be the path in the database home. Since the database didn't ship with APEX 4.1.1, you've either upgraded it yourself or you deselected the APEX part that would be installed along with your database. If you upgraded it, did you also upgrade the contents of that path, i. e., did you replace the contents in that directory with the "images" direcotry from the APEX installation package you've used?
    The second option would be that you've just installed a runtime environment for APEX 4.1.1, but if I don't remember it wrong, I'd expect a slightly different error message for that.

-Udo
  • 5. Re: 'apex' is undefined   while running the apex url
    Arun# Explorer
    I too had the same problem and overcame it. The solution is that we need to specify the root folder for Apex installation. However, the installation guide is a bit misleading.

Here is the solution:

run @apex_epg_config <+root directiry of installation+>

For Example : If your Apex installation is in E:\app\apex folder, you must specify the parameter as follows :-

@apex_epg_config E:\app

same step applicable for linux installation also
  • 6. Re: 'apex' is undefined   while running the apex url
    Prabodh Guru
    I too had the same problem and overcame it. The solution is that we need to specify the root folder for Apex installation. However, the installation guide is a bit misleading.
    Here is the solution:

run @apex_epg_config <+root directiry of installation+>

For Example : If your Apex installation is in E:\app\apex folder, you must specify the parameter as follows :-

@apex_epg_config E:\app

same step applicable for linux installation also>

All this , as has been already pointed out above, is for EPG. Not ApexListener that OP is asking about.
  • 7. Re: 'apex' is undefined   while running the apex url
    958274 Newbie
    I had the same problem with my APEX installation.

And the solution was far simpler than I thought.

My apex.properties file was pointing to a directory on the $ORACLE_HOME.
    I just changed it to the directory where I unzipped the APEX Installation and it worked.

I hope this helps.
  • 8. Re: 'apex' is undefined   while running the apex url
    868258 Newbie
    Hi Udo,

Apologies for the delay in replying.

I did indeed upgrade my exisiting 11g DB instance with Apex 4.1.1

The directory path to D:\oracle\app\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\apex\images is a valid path on my system, and that directory has a ton of subdirectories within it (avimages, css, doc, doc_helper, etc) as well as lots of .gif files which I remember copying in there as part of the APEX installation process.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Mike
  • 9. Re: 'apex' is undefined   while running the apex url
    Udo Guru
    Hi Mike,
    I did indeed upgrade my exisiting 11g DB instance with Apex 4.1.1
    Which upgrade instructions did you follow?
    The directory path to D:\oracle\app\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\apex\images is a valid path on my system, and that directory has a ton of subdirectories within it (avimages, css, doc, doc_helper, etc) as well as lots of .gif files which I remember copying in there as part of the APEX installation process.
    I didn't doubt that this path is valid and contains static contents for APEX. I'm just not sure whether it actually contains the APEX "images" for 4.1.1 or if it's still the contents that corresponds to the APEX version that shipped with your database, but as you say
    which I remember copying in there as part of the APEX installation process.
    this should be the case. Just to make sure that nothing went wrong when you copied that, could you check the contents of
    D:\oracle\app\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\apex\images\apex_version.txt
    It should read
    Application Express Version:  4.1.1
    If that's the case, the only option left would be a caching issue...
    Could you also check whether your APEX Listener configuration is completed? This can be determined from the APEX Listener log (console output).

-Udo

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points