3 Replies Latest reply: May 22, 2012 10:32 PM by safarmer RSS

Start point to develop Smart Card Operating System

Dear All ,

Peace upon you.

I will be thankful for any help to guide to develop Java Card Operating System , Is there any Papers/Links/Open Source Project for this topic ?

Also i want to know what is the meaning of RI (Reference Implementation) for certain JSR (i.e) source code for this implementation is provided and if yes what is the Hardware running it ?

Best Regards
      Nabil
        • 1. Re: Start point to develop Smart Card Operating System
          safarmer
          The specs for the JCVM and the JCRE are published by Oracle. I am not aware of any open source implementations. This may be due to the licensing agreement. I believe there may be a reference implementation that can be made available when you become a licensee.

Shane
          • 2. Re: Start point to develop Smart Card Operating System
            Dear Shane ,

Thanks you for your comment , what i got from your comment is that there are no need to start to develop native OS (native mean programming lang for application running on OS) and go ahead to develop JC OS direct as i will get a reference implementation for specific hardware after i get licence from Oracle then i will develop similar implementation for my selected hardware.

what i understand it is true ?

I have another question regarding Global Platform , can i build the components of GP (Card Manager , Security Domains,..etc ) applets in java card or it should be implemented by C or Assembly language ?

Thanks in Advance
            Nabil

Edited by: Nabil on May 9, 2012 9:23 PM
            • 3. Re: Start point to develop Smart Card Operating System
              safarmer
              Thanks you for your comment , what i got from your comment is that there are no need to start to develop native OS (native mean programming lang for application running on OS) and go ahead to develop JC OS direct as i will get a reference implementation for specific hardware after i get licence from Oracle then i will develop similar implementation for my selected hardware.
              It would most likely be generic C source code that would be ported to specific hardware. I am not a licensee and have not seen the source so cannot really say. I would assume it is the source for the CREF emulator that runs on windows and linux. I cannot say how much effort it would be to port this to your hardware.
              I have another question regarding Global Platform , can i build the components of GP (Card Manager , Security Domains,..etc ) applets in java card or it should be implemented by C or Assembly language ?
              You could do it in a mix of both depending on your needs and expertise. Some of the functionality could be built in C and then make native calls to it from Java some how. This is completely up to your design.

Shane