5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 7, 2012 10:18 AM by Davin Fifield-Oracle RSS

Applicability of OPA

user12065809
      Hi All,

I am a Siebel Developer having some hands-on over OPA too. I am working in Telecom domain right now. I am trying to figureout applicability of OPA in telecom sector.

For Eg. I found in public sector that OPA is used for following

1) Assignment of the Service Person based on skill and criticality attributes of the Person and Service Request respectively.

2) To carryout complex calculation which involves lots of rule branching.

3) To determine decisons based on hierarchy of Priorities i.e evaluate high priority rules first and then move towards lower priority rules.

Can somebody suggest more such applications may or may not releated to telecom sector(if provided will help my anlysis in telecom).

Thanks

Edited by: user12065809 on 7 May, 2012 12:03 PM
        • 1. Re: Applicability of OPA
          user12065809
          Hi,

I need to do some analysis on urgent basis. Any help over above question will be appreciated.

Thanks
          • 2. Re: Applicability of OPA
            Jasmine Lee-Oracle
            I don't really know much about the Telecom sector, but one comment I will make is that your first example sounds better suited to Siebel Assignment Manager.

Your second example sounds like OPA. Your third example sounds probably like OPA, but would need to know more details to be more sure.

I have been working on a whitepaper on topics such as what types of things is OPA good for, what business problems can OPA address, what is OPA not good for, etc. It's aimed at public sector, not telecom, but I suspect it will be generally useful for you.

This whitepaper is almost finished, but not quite public yet. How soon do you need to do your analysis?

Cheers,
            Jasmine
            • 3. Re: Applicability of OPA
              user12065809
              Hi Jasmine,

My project is going through upgrade from siebel 7.8 to 8.1. I need to understand generically in what all areas OPA can be used to replace existing siebel scripts/validations/Assignment manager etc.

about my third requirment, it can be handled by using excel sheet as in excel rules evaluate from top to bottom row so high priority rules will be written in upper rows if condition doesnt satisfed evaluation will be done for next rule below and so on.

I have discovered above three requirments by my experience over OPA. I would be useful if you can generically state some points about implementations you have undergone. That can be suitable for other implementations as well.

I need them in 1-2 days at max. as I have to submit my analysis to consider using OPA for upgraded version.

Thanks

Edited by: user12065809 on May 9, 2012 4:56 AM
              • 4. Re: Applicability of OPA
                user12065809,

The best thing to do is to contact your local OPA pre-sales person (if you can tell me which country you're in then I'd be happy to point you to the right person).
                They will be able to talk through your requirements in detail and help you evaluate the suitability of OPA for the various scenarios - doing it ad-hoc on this forum wont provide you with the information that you need, and also wont allow you to see the true value and flexibility of OPA.

Cheers,
                Phil
                • 5. Re: Applicability of OPA
                  Davin Fifield-Oracle
                  BTW: The whitepaper that Jasmine referred to (When is OPA a good fit?), is available here: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/apps-tech/policy-automation/learnmore/isopaagoodfitformybusiness-1653261.pdf

Davin.