alter database open resetlogs
      ERROR at line 1:
      ORA-01190: control file or data file 1 is from before the last RESETLOGS
      ORA-01110: data file 1: '/usr/u01/app/oracle/oradata/orcl/system01.dbf'
      -------
      How can i open the database?
      Thanks in advance..
        • 1. Re: problem when opening database
          01190, 00000, "control file or data file %s is from before the last RESETLOGS"
          // *Cause: Attempting to use a data file when the log reset information in
          // the file does not match the control file. Either the data file
          // or the control file is a backup that was made before the most
          // recent ALTER DATABASE OPEN RESETLOGS.
          // *Action: Restore file from a more recent backup.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
          • 2. Re: problem when opening database
            anand prakash - oracle
            you need to give more information on what all did you do leading to this ORA-01589.

Anand
            • 3. Re: problem when opening database
              Thanks Kuljeet. I restored the database once.
              now if i am trying to restore it gives the following error :

restore not done; all files read only, offline, or already restored

and if i am trying to recover, it gives the error :

RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
              RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS ===============
              RMAN-03002: failure of recover command at 05/08/2012 14:37:11
              RMAN-06054: media recovery requesting unknown archived log for thread 1 with sequence 21 and starting SCN of 6967034
              • 4. Re: problem when opening database
                Thanks Anand...

I recovered a particular datafile after making it offline and did shutdown immediate without changing the datafile to online.
                After that when i am starting the database it is giving error.
                • 5. Re: problem when opening database
                  RMAN-06054: media recovery requesting unknown archived log for thread 1 with sequence 21 and starting SCN of 6967034
                  apply above archivelog if available otherwise open the database with resetlog option
                  • 6. Re: problem when opening database
                    anand prakash - oracle
                    What happens when you do -- recover database using backup controlfile until cancel; ..What archive log does it prompt for ...is it available?

Anand
                    • 7. Re: problem when opening database
                      Kuljeet, Archive log specified is not available and when i query with resetlogs option, it gives the output :

SQL> alter database open resetlogs;
                      alter database open resetlogs
                      ERROR at line 1:
                      ORA-01110: data file 1: '/usr/u01/app/oracle/oradata/orcl/system01.dbf'
                      • 8. Re: problem when opening database
                        Anand, I executed the query you suggested. this returns error..

RMAN> recover database using backup controlfile until cancel;

RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS ===============
                        RMAN-00558: error encountered while parsing input commands
                        RMAN-01009: syntax error: found "using": expecting one of: "archivelog, auxiliary, allow, clear, check, delete, exclude, from, high, noredo, nofileupdate, noparallel, preview, parallel, restore, ;, skip, save, skip readonly, tablespace, test, to restore point, until, undo, until restore point, validate"
                        RMAN-01007: at line 1 column 18 file: standard input
                        • 9. Re: problem when opening database
                          Appear controlfile or datafile 1 which is your system.dbf file is restored from backup which was made before the resetlog.
                          so try to restore the most recent backup of your files.
                          • 10. Re: problem when opening database
                            I have no recent backup.
                            • 11. Re: problem when opening database
                              now if i am trying to restore it gives the following error :
                              restore not done; all files read only, offline, or already restored
                              was controlfile also restored during that time otherwise restore controlfile and dbf again and do recovery.