This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply: May 11, 2012 3:10 AM by Marko Sutic Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: Single Instance 11.2 failover with Oracle Cluster 11.2
    Marko Sutic Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated
    842366 wrote:
    Marko Sutic wrote:
    With DG you have to think about additional storage for standby database and with failover cluster you can use shared storage.
    (start/stop/check) scripts are very simple and very reliable with managing resources.
    Datafiles are on ASM so there's no problem with shared storage, but i must duplicate instance on others node with consume of ram and cpu.
    If failure occurs? Standby became primary, right? So i must reconfigure all other standby and old primary?
    If you're using active/<b>passive</b> failover cluster you don't have to duplicate instance on other nodes so it will not consume ram and cpu. That is the difference between active/passive and active/active clusters.
    On other nodes you must place Oracle binaries and mount shared storage. If failure on one node occurs instance will be switched to another available node.
    In case you lose data you must restore/recover it from backups.

With standby database you are safe with loss of data, but as I said earlier, you will need additional storage for standby database.
    Oracle Active Data Guard is also nice option. You can use standby database in read only mode for reports or backups which can be very useful to reduce resource consumption on primary database.

Regards,
    Marko
  • 16. Re: Single Instance 11.2 failover with Oracle Cluster 11.2
    user258571 Newbie
    Marko Sutic wrote:
    With standby database you are safe with loss of data, but as I said earlier, you will need additional storage for standby database.
    Oracle Active Data Guard is also nice option. You can use standby database in read only mode for reports or backups which can be very useful to reduce resource consumption on primary database.

Regards,
    Marko
    Hi Marko,
    with standby database solution, the standby database must me active, right?
    So i need additional storage and additional memory.

Thanks

Edited by: 842366 on May 11, 2012 2:47 AM
  • 17. Re: Single Instance 11.2 failover with Oracle Cluster 11.2
    Marko Sutic Newbie
    842366 wrote:
    Marko Sutic wrote:

Regards,
    Marko
    Hi Marko,
    with standby database solution, the standby database must me active, right?
    So i need additional storage and additional memory.

Thanks

Edited by: 842366 on May 11, 2012 2:47 AM
    Standby database will be in recovery/read-only mode so it will consume additional memory and storage.
    Resource consumption will also depend about protection modes which can be maximum protection, maximum performance or maximum availability.

Regards,
    Marko
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points