This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: May 14, 2012 9:43 AM by 765441 RSS

Exception raised when invoking MembershipUser.ResetPassword()

765441 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
In some cases, MembershipUser.ResetPassword() raises an exception. This only happens for some users, and it's not clear why. There are no inputs to the method, so it seems like a problem internal to Oracle's membership provider implementation.

The exception text: The provider returned an error that is not described by other MembershipCreateStatus enumeration values.

The traceback:

at Oracle.Web.Security.OracleMembershipProvider.ResetPassword(String username, String passwordAnswer)
at System.Web.Security.MembershipUser.ResetPassword(String passwordAnswer)
at System.Web.Security.MembershipUser.ResetPassword()
+...+

Any idea what could be happening here?
  • 1. Re: Exception raised when invoking MembershipUser.ResetPassword()
    gdarling - oracle Expert
    I don't know why the behavior may be occurring, but to get more information you might want to enable ODP.NET tracing to see if there is any more information there. I suspect an error may have occurred in the odp.net level (or lower) and the aspnet provider wasn't expecting to have to handle that so is failing to return a proper MembershipCreateStatus enumeration.

http://docs.oracle.com/html/B14164_01/featDebug.htm

I'd go with trace_level 63.

You'll need to restart the app after enabling tracing (and to stop tracing after setting level back to 0). You'll want to try to trace ONLY the problem operation if possible to keep things manageable. It wouldnt hurt to enable SQLNET tracing as well while you're at it.

Hope it helps,
    Greg
  • 2. Re: Exception raised when invoking MembershipUser.ResetPassword()
    765441 Newbie
    Thanks for the tip. I got tracing to work, but can't reproduce the problem at the moment! I will try this next time the problem occurs.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points