1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply: May 9, 2012 12:33 PM by jgarry RSS

sys password

Munish
      Hi,
      I installed 11gR2 64 bit standard one DB on a windows 64 bit 2008 R2 server. It was a typical install
      When it asked for Administrative password, I gave it a password.

Now when I try to log into em it does not accept the password I believe I choose when installing the DB.

How can I re-create a password?

Thanks
      Munish
        • 1. Re: sys password
          sybrand_b
          Oracle is a documented product.
          Please do not ask doc questions you can easily answer yourself.
          This is not a chatroom, and this forum doesn't specialize in answering questions of people who can not do anything themselves.
          And, yes, before you start to flame me: I do know the answer, and I am sick and tired of lazy people like you.

-------------
          Sybrand Bakker
          Senior Oracle DBA
          • 2. Re: sys password
            Aman....
            Munish wrote:
            Hi,
            I installed 11gR2 64 bit standard one DB on a windows 64 bit 2008 R2 server. It was a typical install
            When it asked for Administrative password, I gave it a password.

Now when I try to log into em it does not accept the password I believe I choose when installing the DB.

How can I re-create a password?
            Two ways. One, you enter in the db using the o/s authentication and change the password using the "alter user" command. Two, you can recreate the password file.

Aman....
            • 3. Re: sys password
              sybrand_b
              Please stop promoting laziness.

------------
              Sybrand Bakker
              Senior Oracle DBA
              • 4. Re: sys password
                Munish
                I did read the doc before I put out the question.
                Obviously I didnt find it.
                Secondly... please keep your comment to yourself and dont waste your "precious" time on lazy people like me.

You have no idea what kind of research I did before asking for help.

You the biggest idiot for assuming things.
                • 5. Re: sys password
                  Douglas Paiva
                  You can try directly on the server this:

sqlplus / as sysdba

After this

alter user sys identified by [new password]

Regards,
                  Douglas Paiva
                  • 6. Re: sys password
                    Munish
                    Hi,
                    Maybe I was not clear .

When I log into sqlplus then the password is fine. It is only when logging into EM that it says invalid username/password even when I logon as sys with sys password and I login as SYSDBA.

The installation went fine without any errors, so not sure what to look for to try to find the answer.

Thanks
                    Munish
                    • 7. Re: sys password
                      Can you login Enterprise Manager using SYSTEM or SYSMAN and then go to USERS and select SYS user to edit.

Regards,
                      KDSDBA
                      • 8. Re: sys password
                        Aman....
                        Munish wrote:
                        Hi,
                        Maybe I was not clear .

When I log into sqlplus then the password is fine. It is only when logging into EM that it says invalid username/password even when I logon as sys with sys password and I login as SYSDBA.

The installation went fine without any errors, so not sure what to look for to try to find the answer.
                        Can you show us that how you are logging into the sqlplus? I can very safely bet that you are not using the password of the Sys. Show us a cut paste from the terminal window of the command that you are using. The reason to ask this is that EM doesn't have anything special to check but the same password file which contains your Sys account's password. So if you are not able to log in to the EM , most likely you have got your password wrong.

On a different note, please be respectful to very senior guys like Sybrand over this forum. If you would spend many years like him (and many more) who answers questions which are easily answerable from documentation, you yourself would feel that why people don't search for an answer by themselves?

Aman....
                        • 9. Re: sys password
                          sybrand_b
                          Thank you for your disrespectful comment.
                          I know where you come from and I know most people of your nationality are way too proud and have very very very long toes
                          I recommend you refrain from these kind of comments or I will mark your 'contribution' as abuse of this forum. I know your kind!!

------------
                          Sybrand Bakker
                          Senior Oracle DBA
                          • 10. Re: sys password
                            Munish
                            Here it is...
                            I am logged into dos prompt.
                            Here is the output

C:\>sqlplus /nolog

SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.1.0 Production on Tue May 8 13:45:45 2012

Copyright (c) 1982, 2010, Oracle. All rights reserved.

SQL> connect sys as sysdba
                            Enter password:
                            Connected.
                            SQL>

Aman, I understand what you are saying but I never asked Sybrand any question. He does not have to monitor the forum and by his making that remark he is only wasting time and space.
                            How does he or anyone know how much time I spend researching the issue, and in all honestly speaking I did spend going over the Oracle Database installation guide over and over again to figure out where I went wrong.
                            Only after I tried multiple things and was of no avail that I posted here.
                            • 11. Re: sys password
                              sb92075
                              Munish wrote:
                              Here it is...
                              I am logged into dos prompt.
                              Here is the output

C:\>sqlplus /nolog

SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.1.0 Production on Tue May 8 13:45:45 2012

Copyright (c) 1982, 2010, Oracle. All rights reserved.

SQL> connect sys as sysdba
                              Enter password:
                              Connected.
                              SQL>

Aman, I understand what you are saying but I never asked Sybrand any question. He does not have to monitor the forum and by his making that remark he is only wasting time and space.
                              How does he or anyone know how much time I spend researching the issue, and in all honestly speaking I did spend going over the Oracle Database installation guide over and over again to figure out where I went wrong.
                              Only after I tried multiple things and was of no avail that I posted here.
                              try multiple passwords just like below
                              10:00:31 SQL> connect sys/foobar as sysdba
                              Connected.
                              10:52:24 SQL> connect sys/idiot as sysdba
                              Connected.
                              10:52:34 SQL> connect sys/I_do_not_read_the_manual as sysdba
                              Connected.
                              10:52:53 SQL> 
                              • 12. Re: sys password
                                Munish
                                Stop being racist and go ahead report me.
                                I am going to go ahead and report you, you are nothing but a racist.

Aman please take a note of this comment and now you tell me how can anyone be respectful to a person like this.
                                • 13. Re: sys password
                                  sybrand_b
                                  There also was no need for your disrespectful remark, so you are wasting your time too.

I will recall your handle and address any further abuse of this forum by you accordingly.

--------------
                                  Sybrand Bakker
                                  Senior Oracle DBA
                                  • 14. Re: sys password
                                    Everytime I login here you are say rude comments towards members.
                                    I found your name on another forum fighting another person in the past.

Also stop supporting this behavior and trying to gang up on new members it gives a bad name for the Oracle Forums.

Regards,
                                    KDSDBA
                                    1 2 Previous Next