This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: May 9, 2012 4:07 AM by Udo RSS

Accessing Oracle 10g Express with the SqlDbx IDE

936058 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi, I downloaded Oracle Express a few weeks back.

I finally got round to doing something with it.

I also installed a free IDE called SqlDbx that I was recommended.

When I start up SqlDbx it prmpts me for DBMS Type - I select Oracle Server from a drop down.

Then for the Server I select XE.

There are then 3 boxes for Schema, User, Password.

I dont remember setting anything up when I installed Oracle XE so leave these blank.

I then click OK to connect but get an error logon denied.

Do you know what the default schema, user and password is when you install XE or do you need to do something else to setup them up, if so what?

Is there a better way/tool(free) I could use instead of SqlDbx to connect to the database server?

I checked the service was running in the Windows task manager and it is so that proably isnt the problem.

thanks.
  • 1. Re: Accessing Oracle 10g Express with the SqlDbx IDE
    936058 Newbie
    Sorry, it was actually 11g Express I installed.
  • 2. Re: Accessing Oracle 10g Express with the SqlDbx IDE
    Udo Guru
    Hi,
    Do you know what the default schema, user and password is when you install XE or do you need to do something else to setup them up, if so what?
    Depending on your setup you might want to connect to the "HR" schema containing some demo data. Otherwhise, there are a few administrative/technical accounts you can use to test your connection and for administrative tasks (e.g., creating a new database user). The administrative accounts would be "SYS" or "SYSTEM" using the password you've entered in the installer.
    There is a command line client (sqlplus) to connect these users and create your custom database account, or the database management application that you can access using the "Get Started" link created by the XE installer. Of course, you can also use an IDE.
    Either way, I'd recommend to start with the [url http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E17781_01/admin.112/e18585/toc.htm]Getting Started Guide from the XE documentation library. It's pretty straight forward and contains step by step instructions for exactly the topics you seem to be searching for.
    Is there a better way/tool(free) I could use instead of SqlDbx to connect to the database server?
    There is [url http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/sql-developer/overview/index.html]Oracle SQL Developer, which is available free of charge as well. It is licensed with your database, i.e. you can use it with any properly licensed Oracle Database, including XE.

-Udo

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points