This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: May 11, 2012 12:36 AM by BluShadow RSS

post hunting

kamilp Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello,
I just put straight and easy question into general database forum. I got answers that make me think about the purpose of this forum and about the people who post here. People who replied me have many posts (8640, 267, 544)
Thread makes me laugh on first, but then I started to think about it.
None of their replies was anyhow answer to my question. They just talk about reading documentation (and surprise the correct answer is not in the documentation).
First reply in thread was "Your question doesn't make sense to me" - so why someone is bothering to answer, if he dont understands the question ? Apparently, the question is out of his scope or whatever reason... Just for post +1 ?
They gave me OS dependant solution, without asking about my OS...
The problem with communication here is that many people are obviously anxious about answering questions. If it does not make you happy, dont do it. Forum is for asking questions, and giving answers.
People that have answered into this therad obviously have no intend to give answer in any reply. So why they answer, why even bother with putting some reply ?
Be happy and answer if you know.

Bye
  • 1. Re: post hunting
    SomeoneElse Guru
    I just put straight and easy question into general database forum.
    It may seem "straight and easy" to you but the way you ask a question might be vague and require further clarification.
    It's up to you to tell us your complete platform info, OS/DB version, etc. in your first post. Don't make us work to extract that info from you.

There are many people willing to help but if you post unclear questions without any supporting info, you can't expect to get much in return.
  • 2. Re: post hunting
    jgarry Guru
    kamilp wrote:
    Hello,
    I just put straight and easy question into general database forum. I got answers that make me think about the purpose of this forum and about the people who post here. People who replied me have many posts (8640, 267, 544)
    None of their replies was anyhow answer to my question. They just talk about reading documentation (and surprise the correct answer is not in the documentation).
    First reply in thread was "Your question doesn't make sense to me" - so why someone is bothering to answer, if he dont understands the question ? Apparently, the question is out of his scope or whatever reason... Just for post +1 ?
    The problem with communication here is that many people are obviously anxious about answering questions. If it does not make you happy, dont do it. Forum is for asking questions, and giving answers.
    People that have answered into this therad obviously have no intend to give answer in any reply. So why they answer, why even bother with putting some reply ?
    Because there needs to be back-and-forth in order to have your question make sense. Most people who are here for any length of time want to be helpful and want the forum to be useful to everybody, including themselves. If someone is answering with RTFM, take that as a clue that you have not asked a [url http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html] smart question. A helpful person who is experienced at answering questions, sees your question and doesn't understand it, don't they rightfully think your question is the problem? Isn't it a good thing that they want you to clarify it so they can help you? If it is "straight and easy," shouldn't the correct answer be RTFM?

Remember, we can only see what you post. We have no crystal balls, we can't see your monitor, we have no clue what your background is, we don't know any context to your problem without you telling us clearly. In earlier versions of Oracle, one could easily turn off the listener log, now things have changed and become much more dynamic. You must deal with things as they are, not as how you think they should be.

Forum is not for asking question and giving answers. Forum is for communicating, learning, growing, understanding. This forum is one of the best Oracle resources in the world, you can get out of it much more than you put into it. But you have to put something into it. If you'd rather just pay to ask questions and get answers - well, don't you pay for support?

Bye
  • 3. Re: post hunting
    BluShadow Guru Moderator
    kamilp wrote:
    Hello,
    Perhaps look at it from a different perspective (and I have gone and checked the thread you're talking about so I can see what people were saying).

You asked a single line question, without providing your database version, or providing any clear details or explanation as to what your problem was.
    It's fair enough that English may not be your first language and that's ok, but it's still important to try and manke sure that people here get enough information to be able to help you.

When you get a response such as "Your question doesn't make sense to me" that's not because the person isn't an expert and can't help you... look at it the other way and ask yourself ... "Have I given enough clear information?" Most members don't care how many posts they've made and the number of posts doesn't reflect on how good they are. The points system (as poor as it is) offers an idea as to how helpful the person has been to others because those points are awarded by people who been helped by them. So, I think this idea you have of "post hunting" is something you're perceiving yourself, but not really relevant in truth.

Likewise, if you don't like the answers you're getting, don't just assume it's the people answering who are to blame, take a look at what information you've provided and see if it's sufficient and well formatted and explained for people to be able to help you. This is a professional technical forum (of course there is room for a little friendly banter), so just asking one line questions without any details will often be met with a responses that you may not find helpful.
    Most people are perfectly happy to help if they have the details so that they can help you. Remember, people don't have access to your database, your data, your computers and what's in your head, so don't assume that they are going to automatically know what you're talking about. The technology is very vast, and a generic one line question could have any number of meanings unless explained. As can be seen from that very thread... now that you've started to provide some more information, people are starting to be able to offer you more possible help.

We have some guidance on the SQL and PL/SQL forum for how to ask a question: {message:id=9360002} and a lot of that is also relevant to other forums here. If you read that you can see that it asks for a lot more detail than you provided in your question.

Hope that helps you to ask better questions in future.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points