3 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2012 1:26 PM by Sutirtha Roy

Difference3

Papai
      Hi,
      Could any one clarify me the difference between update and incremental update operation(of IKM)?
      Thanks
        • 1. Re: Difference3
          Sutirtha Roy
          Hi,

Please elaborate your question . Which IKM you are talking about ?

PS: On a lighter side , is this part of a "Difference" seriese ?

Edited by: Sutirtha Roy on May 10, 2012 6:04 PM
          • 2. Re: Difference3
            Papai
            PS: On a lighter side , is this part of a "Difference" seriese ?...

:)

Please elaborate your question . Which IKM you are talking about ?................

Actually I want to know on these operations update ,*incremental update*
            and I am confused about incremental update and incremental update(merge) operation.
            As I am a fresher in the ODI world and database update operation is familiar to me. The incremental update and incremental update(merge) these terms are new to me.
            So please help.
            • 3. Re: Difference3
              Sutirtha Roy
              >
              Actually I want to know on these operations update ,*incremental update*
              and I am confused about incremental update and incremental update(merge) operation.
              As I am a fresher in the ODI world and database update operation is familiar to me. The incremental update and incremental update(merge) these terms are new to me.
              Update : As you know it is simple operation to update some column .

Incremental Update : Here also you are doing Update operation but we are not updating all the records blindly , we are comparing source data with that of target table. If we find a data from source is already present in target but some of its column value got changed at source , we are going to update our target table with the change.
              Here we are comparing 2 set of data based on some KEY column and then doing update operation.

Incremental update(merge) : This is specific to Oracle technology, which can do update and insert operation in a single statement ( againg based on some KEY column comparison) . This is available from Oracle 9i onwards.

Thanks,
              Sutirtha