This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: May 10, 2012 10:41 AM by user12961096 RSS

Migrate Sun Cluster (+RACdisks to new hardware running Sun Cluster ( + RAC)

user12961096 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello,

We have old hardware (v490s) running Sun Cluster 3.2 + Oracle RAC 10.2.0.4.0 connected to SAN. We need to move to T4. Oracle advised against including new hardware into existing cluster, so we are planning on building a new cluster with T4's, same software (Solaris 10, Sun Cluster 3.2, RAC 10.2.0.4.0).

When ready, we plan to shut down existing cluster, zone new cluster to existing disks and bring up everything on new hardware (simply stated).

Will it work?

Any gotchas - like need to clear disk ids or Sun Cluster panicking? RAC panicking? Any reference docs out there?

Thanks
user12961096
  • 1. Re: Migrate Sun Cluster (+RACdisks to new hardware running Sun Cluster ( + RAC)
    807928 Journeyer
    I doubt anyone will have tried your exact procedure, so I don't think you'll get a good answer.

You'll need to install a minimum of: Solaris 10 8/11 (update 10) and Solaris Cluster 3.2 11/09 (update 3) on the T4 to have a supported configuration. I would then recommend reinstalling the 10g Clusterware product from scratch because the public and private network NICs are almost certainly different. You are going to need extra OCR and voting disks for this.

Once you have the CRS framework running, I would recommend setting up Data Guard to allow easy switchover. You will temporarily need more disk space to allow for this, but at least if things go wrong, you can continue with your existing set up. There is a reasonably good description of how to use Data Guard Broker and Solaris Cluster in the Geographic Edition docs (I wrote the original procedure here and use it regularly :-) ).

In short, I think you current idea is probably extremely risky and unlikely to work.

Regards,

Tim
    ---
  • 2. Re: Migrate Sun Cluster (+RACdisks to new hardware running Sun Cluster ( + RAC)
    user12961096 Newbie
    Thank you very much Tim. I'll let management know that separate (new) disks for this project a prerequisite.
  • 3. Re: Migrate Sun Cluster (+RACdisks to new hardware running Sun Cluster ( + RAC)
    807928 Journeyer
    Of course, if you can take a fairly long outage, you could backup and restore your database onto the new cluster. Not very highly available though! So here you'd trade an outage for the cost of extra storage.

Tim
    ---
  • 4. Re: Migrate Sun Cluster (+RACdisks to new hardware running Sun Cluster ( + RAC)
    user12961096 Newbie
    That is an issue here. But this would be our "plan b". Plan A would be have it replicated and use minimal down time to cut-over.

I had another basic question though. Our existing setup includes Sun Cluster. Do we absolutely need that in our new setup or could we forgo that additional layer? Would Sun Cluster give us anything that the OS + RAC doesn't give us?
  • 5. Re: Migrate Sun Cluster (+RACdisks to new hardware running Sun Cluster ( + RAC)
    807928 Journeyer
    Do we absolutely need that in our new setup or could we forgo that additional layer? Would Sun Cluster give us anything that the OS + RAC doesn't give us?
    Yes, Oracle Solaris Cluster does make things a lot easier. It looks after your device space and gives you consistent DID devices for CRS/RAC. It gives you the choice to use sQFS, raw metasets, or ASM. It has clprivnet which is a lot easier and performs better than an IPMP solution. The node failure detection time is <= 10 seconds which is quicker than CRS on it's own and it uses SCSI fencing instead of a STONITH approach. Finally, you have all the off the shelf agents that Solaris Cluster offers.

However, if you are only doing RAC and you just want ASM and you don't need the last few seconds of failure detection that OSC gives you and you think STONITH is good enough for your fencing purposes, then CRS on its own is perfect. There are many, many deployments both with and without OSC, it's not a simple yes/no answer.

Having worked for the Solaris Cluster group, I'm still slightly bias to including it rather than going without. Others have the alternate view! :-)

Hope that helps,

Tim
    ---
  • 6. Re: Migrate Sun Cluster (+RACdisks to new hardware running Sun Cluster ( + RAC)
    user12961096 Newbie
    It does. We'll go with SC + RAC.

Many thanks again!

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points