3 Replies Latest reply: May 11, 2012 3:58 AM by Philip Stoyanov-Oracle RSS

Migrating from 3.1 to 3.1.1 - Domains are lost.

tullio0106
      I migrated my installation from 3.1 to 3.1.1 but I losed every domain (only unknown is still there).
      I tried to open the model using the older 3.1 version but I didn't see them anymore.
      Could someone help ?
      Tks
      Tullio
        • 1. Re: Migrating from 3.1 to 3.1.1 - Domains are lost.
          Do not use domains. They are an insufficiently integrated feature of the Data Modeler. If you use Subversion to work with more than one person on a model you will find out, that the domains are not synchronized via Subversion. Every modeler has to create exactly the same domains on his local machine. Otherwise the whole model gets broken.
          • 2. Re: Migrating from 3.1 to 3.1.1 - Domains are lost.
            Philip Stoyanov-Oracle
            Hi Tullio,

you can define location for system data types directory in "Preferences>data Modeler" page. By default default domains are stored in installation directory datamodeler\datamodeler\types . It seems you are using default location so you should look at that directory for defaultdomains.xml file. You can copy that file to 3.1.1 installation or set "system data types" directory in preferences DM 3.1 and files will be copied to that directory. After that you should set the same directory in DM 3.1.1 and those domains will be used afterward.

Philip
            • 3. Re: Migrating from 3.1 to 3.1.1 - Domains are lost.
              Philip Stoyanov-Oracle
              If you use Subversion to work with more than one person on a model you will find out, that the domains are not synchronized via Subversion
              You need to organize your work and Data Modeler will synchronize domains. You can follow two paths:
              I. Only one design is shared - simply use design level domains
              II. domains for several designs
              1) you need separate directory in repository for "system data types"
              2) check out that directory into local file system and set local directory as system data types directory in Data Modeler - content of default system data types directory will be copied there and put in repository
              3) repository directory should be checked out on each machine and set in Data Modeler as system data types directory

now changes in domains will be tracked together with changes in versioned design.
              You should commit/update changes to domains first and after that those in design itself.
              We recommend design to be closed and open again after update.

Philip