4 Replies Latest reply: May 12, 2012 2:38 AM by Celer RSS

JavaFX as a cross platform solution

user5747111
      Java has successfully delivered on the "write once, run everywhere" promise for many years, but now, as new platforms (e.g. iOS, Android, Windows Mobile,etc.) are emerging, this is, in my opinion, no longer completely true.

Oracle has showed some JavaFX demos on mobile platforms, and asked for feedback about JavaFX on iOS and Android. And in fact, there is a stong demand for a cross platform solutions. We just got a request from one of our automotive industry customers, to provide a application that works on a Desktop computer and a iPad.

Can JavaFX be considered as a future cross platform soltution for both mobile and desktop applications?
      Are there any plans to make the JavaFX builds, showcased at JavaOne, available as early preview versions, in the future?
        • 1. Re: JavaFX as a cross platform solution
          Shlomo belleli
          My personal opinion - Yes
          but it is only my personal opinion
          I can promise to myself in case of wrong answer
          I am leaving any Java RIA technology in favor of HTML5
          • 2. Re: JavaFX as a cross platform solution
            gimbal2
            user5747111 wrote:
            Java has successfully delivered on the "write once, run everywhere" promise for many years, but now, as new platforms (e.g. iOS, Android, Windows Mobile,etc.) are emerging, this is, in my opinion, no longer completely true.
            It was never completely true. The real truth is "write once using the regular JDK, run on places where a proper Java runtime is installed". Even on platforms that have proper runtimes, there is on no way a guarantee that a runtime is installed and properly setup; if there is a runtime installed, you have no guarantee that it is up to date. Etc. etc.

If there is one thing that has always pushed Java back for client applications, it is the difficulty of deployment.
            Oracle has showed some JavaFX demos on mobile platforms, and asked for feedback about JavaFX on iOS and Android. And in fact, there is a stong demand for a cross platform solutions. We just got a request from one of our automotive industry customers, to provide a application that works on a Desktop computer and a iPad.
            Generally people turn to the web for such cross-platform requirements, not to keep it on the client. If there is a client necessity, make it a platform specific thin client. On Apple platforms you're better of using Objective-C.
            Can JavaFX be considered as a future cross platform soltution for both mobile and desktop applications?
            Are there any plans to make the JavaFX builds, showcased at JavaOne, available as early preview versions, in the future?
            I have seen mention of intent, no plans or roadmaps. The showcase is a big hint that Oracle is playing around with it. But things likely won't start to move in that area before Java 8 + JavaFX 3.
            • 3. Re: JavaFX as a cross platform solution
              jsmith
              I very much doubt you would want this.
              That stuff was likely just demo code hacked together for a JavaOne showcase.
              By now, that code would almost certainly be archaic, undocumented and unmaintained.

However, what you likely do want is what Richard recently posted =>
              "JavaFX on ARM is a 3.0 deliverable, and we have builds and milestones for partners and such. You might contact Nicolas Lorain for details. There will be a public developer preview between now and 3.0."
              JavaFX for ARM ?

You might want to talk to Nicolas about your "request from one of our automotive industry customers" and see what happens.
              • 4. Re: JavaFX as a cross platform solution
                Celer
                Gimal not sure I agree with you. We are already using JavaFX in our application see http://www.celer-tech.com it is used for our trading frontend at the moment and runs on MAC,WIN,LINUX packaged up using our own method. I agree that JavaFX will not run on an IPAD yes, but really I would say it might be better to run something else. But JavaFX is a huge improvement on Swing and we love it. Yes there are things missing but the development is there and we have not had to many issues.

I guess it all depends on what you are doing.