3 Replies Latest reply: May 11, 2012 8:24 PM by 936877 RSS

Oracle SQL Developer Connection Help

Hi,

I'm a complete Oracle newbie, so please bear with me. I've been doing research on protein clustering and at my lab the SQL developer has been running queries that I can then do statistics on. I have the query that I need to run, and was told to download Oracle SQL Developer and Oracle Client.

I was also given a username and password, a hostname, a port and a SID. I'm a bit confused, do I still need to install Oracle Client? And if so, I can't quite find what it is on the website? I have SQL Developer installed but when I click connect I get:

"Status : Failure -Test failed: IO Error: The Network Adapter could not establish the connection"

I'm pretty computer literate outside the world of databases so if someone can offer some explanations and guidance, it would be appreciated!

Thanks!
        • 1. Re: Oracle SQL Developer Connection Help
          sb92075
          933874 wrote:
          Hi,

I'm a complete Oracle newbie, so please bear with me. I've been doing research on protein clustering and at my lab the SQL developer has been running queries that I can then do statistics on. I have the query that I need to run, and was told to download Oracle SQL Developer and Oracle Client.

I was also given a username and password, a hostname, a port and a SID. I'm a bit confused, do I still need to install Oracle Client? And if so, I can't quite find what it is on the website? I have SQL Developer installed but when I click connect I get:

"Status : Failure -Test failed: IO Error: The Network Adapter could not establish the connection"

I'm pretty computer literate outside the world of databases so if someone can offer some explanations and guidance, it would be appreciated!

Thanks!
          If you have SQL Developer installed & need to connect to some Oracle DB,
          then you do NOT need Oracle client.
          FWIW - SQL Developer is written in Java & uses JDBC (thin) to connect to the DB

Is the DB Server on a subnet local to your system?
          • 2. Re: Oracle SQL Developer Connection Help
            Hi,

We're all on the same university network, and I wasn't told of any subnet requirement, but officially I don't know.

Also, SQL Developer never "installed". It just extracted a copy of itself, and then every time I open it, it asks me to my java jdk. Having programmed in java quite a bit, I happily point to it, and the program starts up. Is that enough?

Thanks!
            • 3. Re: Oracle SQL Developer Connection Help
              sb92075
              933874 wrote:
              Hi,

We're all on the same university network, and I wasn't told of any subnet requirement, but officially I don't know.

Also, SQL Developer never "installed". It just extracted a copy of itself, and then every time I open it, it asks me to my java jdk. Having programmed in java quite a bit, I happily point to it, and the program starts up. Is that enough?

Thanks!
              I am way old school & eschew GUI.

What is DB Server hostname?
              What OS name & version for your system?

what happens when you do as below

ping <DB_hostname>
              telnet <DB_server> 1521

COPY commands & results then PASTE all back here