7 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2012 10:40 PM by Hussein Sawwan-Oracle RSS

Which Virtualization prod to use for EBS Template & retain Windows ?

Can I use Oracle Virtual server to install EBS VM Template without loosing win 7 environment of laptop? Or do I need to use VMware or Virtual box. Which will give better performance ?
        • 1. Re: Which Virtualization prod to use for EBS Template & retain Windows ?
          Srini Chavali-Oracle
          Installing Oracle VM is destructive - it deletes the host OS - see Re: Oracle VM server and Manager on laptop?

HTH
          Srini
          • 2. Re: Which Virtualization prod to use for EBS Template & retain Windows ?
            Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
            Can I use Oracle Virtual server to install EBS VM Template without loosing win 7 environment of laptop?
            No.
            Or do I need to use VMware or Virtual box.
            Yes.
            Which will give better performance ?
            It does not matter as long as you have sufficient resources.

Thanks,
            Hussein
            • 3. Re: Which Virtualization prod to use for EBS Template & retain Windows ?
              Hussain,

My target is to use EGRCM 8.6.3.1 & EGRCC 8.6.3 with EBS 12.1.1 EGRCI 3.0.2 on linux 5u4.

i) If I dont use Oracle Virtual Server then how will my Oracle VM templates work ? Do they work under VMware and VirtualBox directly ? (pl. give the exact prod name and ver)

ii) When you say I'll have to use VMware did you mean VMware Server or VMware player ? Again please let me know the exact product name.

iii) When you say I'll have to use VMware or Virtual box do you mean I install either of these on windows 7 and then install Oracle Virtul Server in it and then the Oracle VM Templates in Oracle Server ?

iv) In one blog which I read terms like Oracle VMware and Oracle VMware Server were used ... I know VMware but wonder what this Oracle VMware or Oracle VMware Server is. What is it really or the author used the term for ?

Pl. let me know.

Edited by: 932968 on May 15, 2012 9:29 AM
              • 4. Re: Which Virtualization prod to use for EBS Template & retain Windows ?
                Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                If I dont use Oracle Virtual Server then how will my Oracle VM templates work ?

i) Do they work under VMware and VirtualBox directly ?
                You can use Oracle VM VirtualBox -- http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/virtualbox/downloads/index.html
                ii) When you say I'll have to use VMware did you mean VMware Server or VMware player ? Please let me know the exact product name.
                If you want to download and use a template then Oracle VM VirtualBox should be enough. If you want to install VMWare (download the server version) and then install your guest OS along with the software.
                iii) In one blog which I read terms like Oracle VMware and Oracle Server being used ... I know VMware but wonder what this Oracle VMware is. What is it really or the author used the term for ?
                There is no product called Oracle VMware and I think he author is referring to Oracle VM VirtualBox.
                iv) When you say I'll have to use VMware or Virtual box do you mean I install either of these on windows 7 and then Oracle Virtul Server and then the Oracle VM Templates under them ?
                If you want to use the template you could use Oracle VM VirtualBox as mentioned above and in this case just download the template and run it using this software (no installation is required).

Thanks,
                Hussein
                • 5. Re: Which Virtualization prod to use for EBS Template & retain Windows ?
                  Srini Chavali-Oracle
                  Oracle provides two separate virtualization technologies - Oracle VM and Virtualbox - http://www.oracle.com/us/technologies/virtualization/index.html

Oracle VM - http://www.oracle.com/us/technologies/virtualization/oraclevm/index.html
                  Virtualbox - http://www.oracle.com/us/technologies/virtualization/061976.html

Oracle VM is a destructive install (as noted above), while Virtualbox is not.

Oracle creates virtual machine templates for both technologies. Templates created for Oracle VM cannot be directly used by Virtualbox - modification is necessary (see pages 21-24 of the white paper in MOS Doc 1385319.1 - "PeopleSoft Oracle Virtual Machine Templates Development and Customization Guide" for the needed steps)

HTH
                  Srini
                  • 6. Re: Which Virtualization prod to use for EBS Template & retain Windows ?
                    These customization/changes to Oracle VM Templates is applicable to just PeopleSoft or for Oracle EBS and other Oracle products too ?

From the document it seems its applicable only to peoplesoft and not Oracle EBS or other products.
                    • 7. Re: Which Virtualization prod to use for EBS Template & retain Windows ?
                      Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                      932968 wrote:
                      These customization/changes to Oracle VM Templates is applicable to just PeopleSoft or for Oracle EBS and other Oracle products too ?

From the document it seems its applicable only to peoplesoft and not Oracle EBS or other products.
                      Please see "Oracle VM Templates for E-Business Suite Release 12.1.1: Deployment Guide" -- http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E16538_01/ovm/acrobat/EBusinessSuiteOVMDeploymentGuide.pdf

Thanks,
                      Hussein