6 Replies Latest reply: May 24, 2012 10:27 AM by Catch-22 RSS

No video output Oracle Linux 6.2

Simkill
      Hi all, I'm having an issue with a fresh install of Oracle Linux 6.2 64 bit on a DL380 G7. The install all goes smoothly but when the system shows 'booting the oracle linux operating system' or words to that effect, the screen goes black and the monitor reports no signal input. The keyboard responds normally as ctrl+alt+delete reboots the server and num lock works. I'm not sure where to go with this other than flattening it and starting again.

Is Oracle Linux 6.2 64 bit defiantly compatible with that model server?

By the way, this was with the install method set to 'Minimal', so no graphical interface, its just supposed to be command line.

Edited by: 934205 on 14-May-2012 08:15
        • 1. Re: No video output Oracle Linux 6.2
          Catch-22
          Oracle Linux does no longer install a graphical desktop interface (Gnome) by default and there is no reason to perform a "minimal".

The problem might be that your monitor or cable is defect or is not able to handle the default resolution and frequency.

What happens if you go into the boot menu and add the following to the kernel boot prompt:

boot: linux vga=791
          • 2. Re: No video output Oracle Linux 6.2
            Simkill
            I don't even see the boot prompt as the screen goes off before it is displayed.

Edit: I've just down more testing. If i press a key when the booting into linux line of text appears, I get the option to select from 2 OS's. The first one, 'Oracle Linux Server-uek (2.6.32-300.3.1.el6uek.x86_64)' gives me a black screen. The second one, Oracle Linux Server (2.6.32-220.el6.x86_64) gives me a red progress bar and the option to log in as normal.

I'm not sure what the difference between the two options is other than version as I am just following an installation walkthrough from our software providers and I am not familiar with Oracle Linux.

Edited by: 934205 on 14-May-2012 09:11
            • 3. Re: No video output Oracle Linux 6.2
              Catch-22
              You can try to add vga=791 to the kernel boot parameter following the instructions on screen at the menu where you selected the kernel. Alternatively, log in from a remote session using ssh and check /var/log/messages and dmesg for possible clues. You can also setup Oracle public yum following the instructions at http://public-yum.oracle.com and type yum update as root to apply the latest patchsets. if I remember correctly there was a certain bug affecting video, but I cannot locate the reference right now.

Edited by: Dude on May 14, 2012 9:45 AM
              • 4. Re: No video output Oracle Linux 6.2
                tim.wissman
                We have seen similar behavior with HP gear and Solaris as well as Linux. Check your BIOS for any redirections to your ILO. Also, IF you are getting to the grub menu, try adding a tty or serial setting (sorry, it's really late here and i cannot think of the correct entry), but this will most likely be if redirection is set to the tty or serial port.
                • 5. Re: No video output Oracle Linux 6.2
                  Simkill
                  hi all,

Just to let you know, the issue was resolved by putting 'nomodeset' at the end of the line for that kernal in /boot/grub/grub.conf. We managed to do that by booting into the alternative kernal first. This resolved the issue.

Thanks for your input!
                  • 6. Re: No video output Oracle Linux 6.2
                    Catch-22
                    Meanwhile I also found the link: Trouble from the Two Kernels from Linux 6.1 which is suggesting to add "nomodeset"