6 Replies Latest reply: May 16, 2012 2:13 PM by narentawar RSS

where to place archives log on asm or ocfs2 oracle rac11g

Hi,

We are now moving to oracle 11g rac from single instance of oracle 10g.

In my current environment in my crontab I wrote a script which executes after half an hour and copy the uncopied archived log files to the given location.
      And I want it to do the same thing in my oracle rac 11gr2

There are few questions which are bothering me a lot.

Should archive logs in OCFS2 or asm or acfs of 11g?

*. If I use OCFS2 then it will be easy for me to move multiple archive log files at same time through cron script to other system or location.

*. If I use asm then in oracle 11gr2 it gives us the cp command but we can not copy multiple files at the same time only one file at a time which creates a really mess for me.

*. If I use acfs many people says you shall have performance issues with it and as I tested I did not found any performance issues but when archive logs are created on acfs location the archive logs names are different then that which are created on asm disk.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Kind Regards,

Adnan Hamdus Salam

Edited by: adnan on May 14, 2012 10:04 PM
        • 1. Re: where to place archives log on asm or ocfs2 oracle rac11g
          adnan wrote:
          Hi,

We are now moving to oracle 11g rac from single instance of oracle 10g.

In my current environment in my crontab I wrote a script which executes after half an hour and copy the uncopied archived log files to the given location.
          And I want it to do the same thing in my oracle rac 11gr2

There are few questions which are bothering me a lot.

Should archive logs in OCFS2 or asm or acfs of 11g?

*. If I use OCFS2 then it will be easy for me to move multiple archive log files at same time through cron script to other system or location.

*. If I use asm then in oracle 11gr2 it gives us the cp command but we can not copy multiple files at the same time only one file at a time which creates a really mess for me.

*. If I use acfs many people says you shall have performance issues with it and as I tested I did not found any performance issues but when archive logs are created on acfs location the archive logs names are different then that which are created on asm disk.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Kind Regards,

Adnan Hamdus Salam

Edited by: adnan on May 14, 2012 10:04 PM
          Depending upon your situation (to copy file through cron job from same location), i would choose acfs if available if not then would opt for ocfs2. Since they are easy managable (as in you case ) and i also didn't see any performance issue in acfs, since acfs is based on ASM only which is you know is tuned
          • 2. Re: where to place archives log on asm or ocfs2 oracle rac11g
            fyi, ACFS supported archivelog from version 11.2.0.3.
            • 3. Re: where to place archives log on asm or ocfs2 oracle rac11g
              Hi Kuljeet,

Thanks to all of you for replying. Ok no problem I can go for that .

Does oracle asm multiple files copy at same time in version 11.2.0.3.

Can I create my environment like this I need your suggestions :

1. using raid 6 with 2 disks failure tolerance.

using ASM as external Redundancy

2. Datafiles on Disk group ORADATA.

3. Redologs and control files on separate disk group name ORALOG.

4. archive logs and rman backups files on OCFS2 .
              I don't want them on asm because it creates a lot of problem of managing it while copying the files and

one thing more I also configure a tape drive for backup for it first requires to move from ASM to disk and then from disk it would be eligible to move to tape.

Thank you for helping me.

Kindly, don't mind I you think that these questions are stupid because I am a leaner.

Kind Regards,

Adnan Hamdus Salam

Edited by: adnan on May 15, 2012 12:52 AM
              • 4. Re: where to place archives log on asm or ocfs2 oracle rac11g
                onedbguru
                Kuljeet Pal Singh wrote:
                fyi, ACFS supported archivelog from version 11.2.0.3.
                It's about time... I have actually used it in 11.2.0.1 and 11.2.0.2, thus far, without incident.
                • 5. Re: where to place archives log on asm or ocfs2 oracle rac11g
                  -if you've mirroring at storage level you can use external Redundancy at ASM level.
                  -you can put DBF/controlfile/redo in one DISKGROUP.
                  I don't want them on asm because it creates a lot of problem of managing it while copying the files and
                  one thing more I also configure a tape drive for backup for it first requires to move from ASM to disk and then from disk it would be eligible to move to tape.
                  managing archivelog is simple with the help of RMAN.
                  if RMAN is configure with Tape library with third party tool ,you can directly move arch/database backup to tape.
                  else perform archivelog backup by rman into disk and do mount point level backup based on your Tape backup configuration.
                  • 6. Re: where to place archives log on asm or ocfs2 oracle rac11g
                    narentawar
                    Adnan,
                    About your archive logs copying problem :-
                    You can go ahead with ASM and have your archive logs on it. With respect to copying them, you can have running archive log backup RMAN job instead of copying them manually and that will go disk/tape.

For configuration part :-
                    Always go with separate ASM disks/diskgroup for OCR/Votting disk/ COntrol files /Archives/FRA logs/ Datafiles.

Regards
                    Naren