5 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2012 3:38 AM by Hussein Sawwan-Oracle

What sequence of installations of VM products and Oracle Templates ?

My target is to use EGRCM 8.6.3.1 & EGRCC 8.6.3 with EBS 12.1.1 EGRCI 3.0.2 on linux 5u4 on my laptop without loosing my win 7 environment. EGRCM cannot be on same server as EGRCC

Kindly correct the sequence I plan to follow.

1. EBS 12.1.1 & GRCM
      --> Win7 on laptop
      --> VMware (server or player??? ver ???)
      --> Oracle Virtual Server (ver ??) with no Oracle Virtual Manager
      --> Oracle VM Temp for OEL 5
      Is PV Small x86_64 (64 bit)      V18922-01 ok ??
      --> OVM Template for EBS 12.1.1 Vision
      --> Oracle VM Template for Template Builder (may or may not use it)
      --> Oracle VM Template WebLogic Server 10gR3
      --> Install GRCC products

Do I need Oracle VM Template for MySQL Enterprise ?

2. EBS 12.1.1 & EGRCM
      --> Win7 on laptop
      --> Oracle VM Temp for OEL 5 64
      --> Oracle VM Template for EBS 12.1.1 Vision 32
      --> Oracle VM Template WebLogic Server 10gR3 and manually update to 11gR1
      OR
      Install WebLogic Server 11gR1
      --> Content Server 10gR3 (10.1.3.3.3)
      --> Install SOA 11g Patch set
      --> Other GRCM related
      --> Do I need Oracle VM Template for MySQL Enterprise ?

3. Within Oracle VM Server can one use a OVM Template and then update it?
      4. Also can you have templates for some products and wile install some other products in the same Orqcle VM Server?
        • 1. Re: What sequence of installations of VM products and Oracle Templates ?
          Srini Chavali-Oracle
          Pl do not post the same question on multiple threads - pl continue the discussion in your previous thread for continuation purposes.

If you are going to be installing VMWare (which is a 3rd party solution), then you cannot use Oracle VM templates (since AFAIK they can only be used with Oracle VM software) - you will need to download and install all of the needed software individually and manually (without using any templates).

If you want to use the Oracle VM templates, the you will need to use Oracle VM (which will wipe out your Win 7 OS) - or use Virtualbox software for the VM and modify the Oracle VM templates as I noted in your other thread. The modification process may or may not be successful - you will have to try it out and see.

Srini
          • 2. Re: What sequence of installations of VM products and Oracle Templates ?
            Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
            Kindly correct the sequence I plan to follow.

1. EBS 12.1.1 & GRCM
            --> Win7 on laptop
            --> Oracle VM Temp for OEL 5
            --> OVM Template for EBS 12.1.1 Vision
            --> Oracle VM Template WebLogic Server 10gR3
            --> Install GRCC products

Do I need Oracle VM Template for MySQL Enterprise ?
            If you cannot install it directly then the answer is yes.
            2. EBS 12.1.1 & EGRCM
            --> Win7 on laptop
            --> Oracle VM Temp for OEL 5 64
            --> Oracle VM Template for EBS 12.1.1 Vision 32
            --> Oracle VM Template WebLogic Server 10gR3 and manually update to 11gR1
            OR
            Install WebLogic Server 11gR1
            --> Content Server 10gR3 (10.1.3.3.3)
            --> Install SOA 11g Patch set
            --> Other GRCM related
            --> Do I need Oracle VM Template for MySQL Enterprise ?
            What is PV?

Why you keep asking about the version and the same questions?
            3. Within Oracle VM Server can one use a OVM Template and then update it?
            Yes.
            4. Also can you have templates for some products and wile install some other products in the same Orqcle VM Server?
            Yes.

Thanks,
            Hussein
            • 3. Re: What sequence of installations of VM products and Oracle Templates ?
              Sorry to repeat again but making a mistake and trying out is not a luxury I can afford because I'm neither technical or DBA.

Regarding (1) in my post:
              i) Is the sequence correct ?

ii) Which one do you suggest to install .. VMware Server or Vmware player and if so which version.Pl let me know.

iii What ver of Oracle VM Server should I use for the templates linux 5u4 64 bit. Almost every version got linux 5

iv) Will I need to install Oracle Virtual Manager too ?

v) I dont know what it means but for meaning of PV kindly go to Linux/Templates option in edelivery... select VM Templates for linux 64bit ..then select Oracle VM Template for linux 5 64bit ... you see several products listed like "Oracle Linux 5 Update 4 template - PV Small x86_64 (64 bit)" , " PV x86_64 (64 bit)" and "PV Large x86_64 (64 bit)" etc. More info is available if you click Readme icon on top left of the table listing products.

vi) Do I need Oracle VM Template for MySQL Enterprise ?

vii) Regarding your reply to (1) of my original post: "If you cannot install it directly then the answer is yes".... please explain if I cannot install what directly and the answer is yes to what?

Regarding (2) of the post :

You say why I keep asking about same questions ......
              (1) was about GRCC but i made a typo GRCM instead of GRCC. (2) is about GRCM and two different ways one can go about installations. All the three use different products so it not same question.

As for asking version, I don't want to land in a situation of after spending weeks (at my pace and knowledge level) and realize all 90% I did is waste cuz I used the wrong version in the very first step itself.
              • 4. Re: What sequence of installations of VM products and Oracle Templates ?
                Srini Chavali-Oracle
                If you do not have technical or DBA skills, you should not be attempting this install. Have someone with the needed skills do the install for you.

Srini
                • 5. Re: What sequence of installations of VM products and Oracle Templates ?
                  Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                  Regarding (1) in my post:
                  i) Is the sequence correct ?
                  I do not understand your sequences, they are confusing.
                  ii) Which one do you suggest to install .. VMware Server or Vmware player and if so which version.Pl let me know.
                  Server. For the version, just download the latest one (as long as it is not beta).
                  iii What ver of Oracle VM Server should I use for the templates linux 5u4 64 bit. Almost every version got linux 5
                  Please check the certification matrix on MOS website to verify what OS is certified with the product you are planning to install/use.
                  iv) Will I need to install Oracle Virtual Manager too ?
                  I do not understand why you need this.
                  v) I dont know what it means but for meaning of PV kindly go to Linux/Templates option in edelivery... select VM Templates for linux 64bit ..then select Oracle VM Template for linux 5 64bit ... you see several products listed like "Oracle Linux 5 Update 4 template - PV Small x86_64 (64 bit)" , " PV x86_64 (64 bit)" and "PV Large x86_64 (64 bit)" etc. More info is available if you click Readme icon on top left of the table listing products.
                  Oracle VM Windows Paravirtual (PV) -- Oracle VM and Microsoft Windows [ID 468634.1]
                  vi) Do I need Oracle VM Template for MySQL Enterprise ?
                  If MySQL is required then yes.
                  vii) Regarding your reply to (1) of my original post: "If you cannot install it directly then the answer is yes".... please explain if I cannot install what directly and the answer is yes to what?
                  Directly means on a physical machine.
                  Regarding (2) of the post :

You say why I keep asking about same questions ......
                  (1) was about GRCC but i made a typo GRCM instead of GRCC. (2) is about GRCM and two different ways one can go about installations. All the three use different products so it not same question.

As for asking version, I don't want to land in a situation of after spending weeks (at my pace and knowledge level) and realize all 90% I did is waste cuz I used the wrong version in the very first step itself.
                  For version questions please always refer to the certification matrix (from MOS website).

If you have a valid CSI number, I would suggest you log a SR.

Thanks,
                  Hussein