3 Replies Latest reply: May 16, 2012 2:12 PM by mseberg RSS

RMAN clone directory issue

user409261
      Hi, expert:

I am going to use RMAN duplicate to clone a 11g database on linux. The target instance name is ORCL, the TNS/listener name is ORLC (someone defined).Please note one has 'CL', the other has 'LC' I have modified the initORCL.ora and there only have ORCL no ORLC.

After startup nomount pfile=/../initORCL.ora, I saw $ORACLE_BASE/diag/rdbms/orcl/ORLC is created and under that directory there are many subdirectories. I manually created $ORACLE_BASE/diag/rdbms/orcl/ORCL before starup nomount but there is nothing under that directory. I don't know why $ORACLE_BASE/diag/rdbms/orcl/ORLC is created. Will this effect my clone or database after clone?
      Thank you for your help in advance
        • 1. Re: RMAN clone directory issue
          mseberg
          Hello;

Not by itself it won't. Sounds like you SID is ORCL and your diagnostic_dest= is set to "$ORACLE_BASE/diag/"

If 11R2 you can use active dupicate

If that's what you are using make sure these are set :

Prevent Timeouts

Add these to both servers

To listener.ora
          INBOUND_CONNECT_TIMEOUT_ = 120

To sqlnet.ora
          SQLNET.INBOUND_CONNECT_TIMEOUT = 120

Also make sure you have this setup :

Important

When duplicating from an active database, you must first have connected as SYSDBA
          to the auxiliary instance by means of a net service name.

This net service name must also be available on the source database instance.

The source database instance, to which RMAN is connected as TARGET, uses this net service name
          to connect directly to the auxiliary database instance.

( In other words you need an entry for the CLONE in your TNSNAMES.ORA on both servers )
          Listener.ora

Its also worth double checking DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT and LOG_FILE_NAME_CONVERT in the clone INIT.

When I do this I create an spfile from the INIT and start NOMOUNT on the new SPFILE

DUPLICATE TARGET DATABASE TO CLONEDBNAME FROM ACTIVE DATABASE NOFILENAMECHECK;

Best Regards

mseberg
          • 2. Re: RMAN clone directory issue
            user409261
            mseberg:

Thank you detailed instruction on active duplicate database. I will try some time.

You are right about "you SID is ORCL and your diagnostic_dest= is set to "$ORACLE_BASE/diag/"". My question is why it has TODI after toid in
            $ORACLE_BASE/diag/rdbms/toid/TODI/trace

Does Oracle pickup tns name and put after .../rdbms/toid/?
            • 3. Re: RMAN clone directory issue
              mseberg
              Hello;

DIAGNOSTIC_DEST is from 11.1 or higher. If the $ORACLE_BASE environment variable does not exist then $ORACLE_HOME is used.

It works like this :
              <diagnostic_dest>/diag/rdbms/<dbname>/<instname>
              So the Default value is Derived from the value of ORACLE_BASE.

Trace files, Alert logs, and core file live there. I use it for the text ( non-xml ) version of the alert log.

Best Regards

mseberg