2 Replies Latest reply: May 22, 2012 8:56 AM by 938716 RSS

Unable to connect: invalid username/password

I've installed Oracle XE 11. I've created a user "USER". I am able to logon as "USER" via the web interface (!!)

So far so good.

Now I am about to create a 32-bit ODBC DSN. I am not certain what to enter into the "TNS Service Name" but tried 127.0.0.1/XE. That seems to be fine because when I try user SYS with the correct password I get -as expected- "connection as SYS should be as SYSDBA or SYSOPER. (I only tried this in order to find out whether it actually checks user-ID and password for SYS: it does!)

But when I specify USER with the correct password then I get

Unable to connect
      SQLSTate=28000
      [Oracle][ODBC][Ora]Ora-01017: invalid username/password;
      logon denied

Why does it work via the web interface but not for the ODBC connection? Or is the error message rubbish? But why can't I find anything on the net then?

I am puzzled. Help is very much appreciated.

Kai
        • 1. Re: Unable to connect: invalid username/password
          JustinCave
          Which "web interface" are you referring to? Are you sure that you created a database user and not an Application Express (APEX) user?

If you query the dba_users table, do you see a user named 'USER'? That is, does
          SELECT *
            FROM dba_users
           WHERE username = 'USER'
          return any rows? What abut
          SELECT *
            FROM apex_workspace_apex_users
           WHERE user_name = 'USER'
          Justin
          • 2. Re: Unable to connect: invalid username/password
            Which "web interface" are you referring to?
            APEX
            Are you sure that you created a database user and not an Application Express (APEX) user?
            Thanks for asking the right question: by checking DBA_USERS I realize that there is indeed no user "USER".

I am new to Oracle but familiar with plenty other databases. When you run SQL Server Management Studio on SQL Server or MySQL Workbench and you create a user then (of course I dare say) this is going to be an ordinary Database user. It was easy to assume that APEX works the same way. Well, it doesnt.

Thanks again Justin!

Kai