1 Reply Latest reply: May 28, 2012 6:28 AM by Mkirtley-Oracle RSS

Migration Wizard Question

Gamblesk
      SQL Developer 3.1.07
      Oracle 10.2.0.4
      SQL Server 2008 R2

Looking at SQL Developer to help with a migration to Oracle. The ending point for the migration will be 11.2 but currently I am just playing around with a 10.2 DB that I have handy.

Just have a question on one of the migration reports. When you look at the analysis tab and then 'Name Changes' tab table names for example are listed twice. One with a name change and one without.

I realize the name is being changed to hit the 30 character limit of Oracle but I do not understand why I see 2 entries on that screen.

Is one of the capture and one for the convert steps? I do not see anything to say what they really are. Other than I know the one that changed is because of the name limit.
      OBJECTTYPE PROJECTNAME  ModelName   DatabaseName   OwnerName  SourceName                                 Converted Name 
      TABLE      scott_test   2012...     Scott          dbo        Example_of_a_table_with_a_really_long_name Example_of_a_table_with_a_really_long_name
      TABLE      scott_test   2012...     Scott          dbo        Example_of_a_table_with_a_really_long_name Example_of_a_table_with_a_real
        • 1. Re: Migration Wizard Question
          Mkirtley-Oracle
          Hi,
          It looks like this is the way that SQL*Developer records the information for later use.
          I did a test with a long table name and it was also recorded twice in the 'Name Changes' analysis tab but when I went as far as creating the converted model the table only appears once with the shortened name in the 'Converted database Objects' list.

Regards,
          Mike