This discussion is archived
10 Replies Latest reply: Jun 14, 2012 2:40 PM by user403656 RSS

linux - Installing oracle database/client  11g r2 32b

Neill_R Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello

I have oracle 11g r2 install in windows but wish to gain experience of oracle under linux. Can you help guide me.

I have a Sempron 2200 3GB RAM PC (i686) so i am limited to 32b versions.

I have Oracle Enterprise Linux Server 32b 6.2.0.0.0 installed. Ubuntu 12.04 32b desktop Linux mint 12 32b desktop. I could install Ubuntu 12.04 32b server.

The problem with a server installation is that it does not have a GUI and there fore there is no access to Internet (browser) in a single PC environment this is a pain as to access the WWW one has to reboot.

what is my best course of action?

Neill

Edited by: Neill_R on May 25, 2012 10:37 AM
  • 1. Re: linux - Installing oracle database/client  11g r2
    mBk77 Journeyer
    You can use virtualization (VMware)...
  • 2. Re: linux - Installing oracle database/client  11g r2
    Helios-GunesEROL Oracle ACE
    Hi;

1. Create vm machine
    2. Install Oracle linux on it which is certified wiht 11gr2 and its free
    3. Start your db installation
    4. Work for your issue

Regard
    Helios
  • 3. Re: linux - Installing oracle database/client  11g r2
    Neill_R Newbie
    Hi

Thanks for the suggestion I have installed Ubuntu 12.04 32b server and have the ubuntu-desktop installed.
    As yet only installations guidance i have found is for 64bit. But i will try your suggestion.

I will install virtualbox and create a new VMmachine where i will install Oracle Enterprise Linus 6.2..0.0.0. and then try to install oracle database.

Any ideas of the best guidance howto?

Neill
  • 4. Re: linux - Installing oracle database/client  11g r2
    Aman.... Oracle ACE
    If you are looking for the installation how-to's than have a look at the below link,
    http://www.oracle-base.com/articles/11g/articles-11g.php

Aman....
  • 5. Re: linux - Installing oracle database/client  11g r2
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    OEL 6.2 is only certified with 11.2.0.3, which is only available for download from My Oracle Support. If you do not have access to MOS, you are better off installing OEL 5.7 in your VM, in which you can install 11.2.0.1 (free download from http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/downloads/index.html

HTH
    Srini
  • 6. Re: linux - Installing oracle database/client  11g r2 32b
    Neill_R Newbie
    Hello

I have beed adviced to use a VM to install the oracle ENTERPRISE linux server actually 5.8. But on my PC it is to slow
    (Dude)

Sadly Installing oracle Linux as a VM on this PC was too slow to be workable.

However I did find that version 5.8 server installs with a GUI and seems to be okay. No email client though but I am using webmail.

Q

1 Why does Oracle Linux 6.2.0.0.0. (32b) not have a GUI where oracle Enterprise Linux 5.8 (32b) does?

2. How can a GUI be added?
    Ubuntu-server 12.04 it is easy just sudu apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

3. When or if it will be adviseable to intall Oracle database 11g r2 on OL 6.2.0.0.0
    ( I see I need oracle support contract)

I am following

Oracle® Database
    Quick Installation Guide
    11g Release 2 (11.2) for Linux x86
    E24324-02
    November 2011

obtained from the oracle documentation DVD 11g R2
  • 7. Re: linux - Installing oracle database/client  11g r2 32b
    Dude! Guru
    Oracle Linux is based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux, but using a different Linux Oracle UEK kernel. Red Hat Enterprise version 6, unlike the previous version 5, does not install a Graphical Desktop by default anymore.

There are several ways to run X Window GUI applications remotely without the need to install Gnome or X Window on the server, but that's a different story. If you want a GUI interface on Oracle Linux 6:

When you install the OS, look out for the window to select the set of software to install. Leave Basic Server selected, but choose the Customize now ratio button. Select the Desktops group on the left side of the window. Choose at least the X Window System, Fonts and Desktop packages. To get a similar Desktop like in previous Enterprise Linux releases, add also the General Purpose Desktop and Graphical Administration Tools packages

You can use VirtualBox or other virtualization products to install a Oracle Linux guest machine under any host OS, but need a 64-bit CPU with VT-x or AMD-v hardware virtualization support, otherwise it will be too slow and not usable.

Installing Oracle 11.2.0.1 on Oracle Linux 6.2 works fine, unless you install Grid Infrastructure.

It seems you do not have sufficient hardware for what you are trying to accomplish.

Although not officially supported, it is possible to install Oracle 11gR2 under Ubuntu:

Install Oracle 11gR2 on Ubuntu Linux 11.04 (64-bit) Howto
    Install Oracle 11gR2 on Ubuntu Linux 11.04 (64-bit) Howto

Ubuntu 12.04 Oracle XE and ORA-00845: MEMORY_TARGET not supported
    Ubuntu 12.04 Oracle XE and ORA-00845: MEMORY_TARGET not supported

Depending on what you are trying to do, perhaps Oracle XE will be sufficient, which has a smaller footprint that Oracle Enterprise edition. But you will need a 64-bit OS, or install the previous Oracle 10g XE.

Install Oracle 11gR2 Express Edition on Ubuntu Linux 11.04 (64-bit) Howto
    Install Oracle 11gR2 Express Edition on Ubuntu Linux 11.04 (64-bit) Howto
  • 8. Re: linux - Installing oracle database/client  11g r2 32b
    Neill_R Newbie
    thanks for reply But I find it very confusing.

for now I am attempting to install oracle 11g r2 32b on oracle linus 5.8 as you suggested. After the pre-install task were done I ran the installer from the cdrom

cd ~
    /media/"cdromlabel"/runInstaller

however i have forgotten to do the packages so the GCC + others are missing
    under ubuntu i know to sudo apt-get build-essential

BUT WHAT IS IT I HAVE TO DO IN ORACLE LINUX 5.8.

(Why aren't these packages automatically setup in the base installation or Oracle Linux since thet are required by the installer of the oracle database?)

seems i missed this bit in my installation or oracle linux Do I have to do a complete reinstall or is there a way to apply the required changes to an existing installation or oracle linux?

Installing the Oracle RDBMS Pre-Install RPM from DVD Disks or Images
    Use the following procedure to install the Oracle RDBMS Pre-Install RPM or Oracle
    Validated Configuration RPM from the Oracle Linux distribution:
    Get Oracle Linux disks either by ordering the Oracle Linux media pack from
    Oracle Store, or downloading disk images from the Oracle Software Delivery
    Cloud portal for Oracle Linux and Oracle Virtual Machine (Oracle VM).
    Oracle Store:
    https://shop.oracle.com/store/enterpriselinux
    Oracle Software Delivery Cloud:
    https://edelivery.oracle.com/linux
    1-6 Oracle Database Installation Guide
    Installation Considerations
    2. Start the Oracle Linux installation.
    3. At the first software selection screen, which lists task-specific software options,
    there is an option at the bottom of the screen to customize now or customize later.
    Select Customize now, and click Next.
    4. On the Customize selection page, select Base System on the list on the left side of
    the screen, and then select System Tools on the right side of the screen. Then, click
    Optional Packages.
    5. The Packages in System Tools window opens. Select the Oracle RDBMS Pre-Install
    RPM package box from the package list, and click Next.
    6. Complete the other screens to finish the Oracle Linux installation.
    Oracle Linux automatically creates a standard (not role-allocated) Oracle
    installation owner and groups, and sets up other kernel configuration settings as
    required for Oracle installations.

Edited by: Neill_R on May 28, 2012 1:29 PM
  • 9. Re: linux - Installing oracle database/client  11g r2 32b
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    Pl see this link http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/servers-storage-admin/ginnydbinstallonlinux-488779.html (taken from another of Dude's post here - Re: Checking kernel parameters warning

HTH
    Srini
  • 10. Re: linux - Installing oracle database/client  11g r2 32b
    user403656 Newbie
    Complete steps for oracle installation is detailed back.

http://www.obieelive.blogspot.com/2012/06/obiee-111160-on-oracle-enterprise-linux.html

Thanks,

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points