4 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2012 1:08 PM by garywicke

Problem with loading Developer Days on Windows 7 64-bit

garywicke
      This is the new thread with a more accurate subject line.

Environment:

Windows 7 64 - bit on HP ProBook 6555b 4GB RAM AMD Phenom II Quad Core processor

I downloaded and successfully installed Oracle VirtualBox 4.1.16 with the extension pack.

When I double click the Developer Days VM the command window opens and several lines of
      'Booting 'Enterprise Linux Enterprise Linux Server (2.6.18-194.17.1.0.1.e15)' appear followed by
      Booting 'Enterprise Linux Enterprise Linus Server (2.6.18-194.17.1.0.1.e15)'

root (hd0,0)
       Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
      kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-194.17.1.0.1.e15 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
         [Linux-bzImage, setup=0x1e00, size=0z1c8474]
      initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.18-194.17.1.0.1.e15.img
         [Linux-initrd @ 0x37d7f000, 0x270304 bytes]

Memory for crash kernel (0x0 to 0x0) notwithin permissible range
      WARNING calibrate_APIC_clock: the APIC timer calibration may be wrong.
      Being new to VirtualBox I'm not sure where to start.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-gary
        • 1. Re: Problem with loading Developer Days on Windows 7 64-bit
          I see the same messages scrolling up the cmd line scree in my IBM Lenovo. However I am able to launch Oracle VM Virtual Box and I am able to launch the apps in the virtual Linux environment.

Are you able to launch the Oracle VM Virtual Box? If yes then it is probably a non-issue.
          • 2. Re: Problem with loading Developer Days on Windows 7 64-bit
            garywicke
            Thanks very much for the feedback. I was getting worried!

The command window opens when I double-click on the Developer Day VM and I get a few lines that scroll off the window about loading Linux .... These lines never come back and I can't scroll in the command window.

As soon as the above messages come into the command window the whole process stops. The window stays open but I get no response from it. I get no login prompt or anything.

Do you think it could be a VirtualBox setup issue? I downloaded and installed the product along with the extension pack with no apparent problems and when I start VirtualBox I see the Developer Day VM listed in the left panel. All I do at that point is double-click it like the download web site said but I don't get the same results, i.e. no chance to login. It seems all I can do at that point is close the window by clicking the 'X' and it asks me 3 things about what to do with the VM and I usually say to shut it down. None of the other options look any better either.

Any other suggestions are most welcome!!

Thanks again!

-gary
            • 3. Re: Problem with loading Developer Days on Windows 7 64-bit
              garywicke
              Do I possibly need to change any of the settings in the right hand panel? At this point, with no VM's running and the only VM in the left panel, Oracle Developer Days powered off, the right hand panel shows the Network Adapter (unattached) and no USB filters, etc.

Have I messed up the starting process? Kind of hard to mess up a double-click but I thought I would ask. :-)

The checksum for the 'ova' download matched the web site and the install of VirtualBox didn't show any issues.

Any other suggestions to get this working?

Thanks very much!!

-gary
              • 4. Re: Problem with loading Developer Days on Windows 7 64-bit
                garywicke
                Got it solved. Checked the box under 'Enable IO APIC'

Thanks very much for ALL your help. :-)

-gary