3 Replies Latest reply: May 31, 2012 6:04 PM by 939998 RSS

Solaris Studio Debugging and Analysis Tools 12.3

I am using Solaris Studio Debugging and Analysis Tools 12.3 both dbx and dbxtoool on RHEL 6.2 to analyze Java core dumps from 64-bit Java on Solaris 10. I received error messages below.

dbx: 32-bit dbx can't debug 64-bit corefile '/home/core.4762'
      For information about new features see `help changes'
      To remove this message, put `dbxenv suppress_startup_message 7.9' in your .dbxrc
      Reading java
      Reading ld-linux.so.2
      dbx: fetch at 0xed10 failed -- Input/output error
      dbx: warning: could not put in breakpoint
      dbx: warning: internal handler (-80) made defunct -- could not enable event BPT
      dbx: warning: internal handler (-86) made defunct -- could not enable event BPT
      dbx: fetch at 0xed10 failed -- Input/output error
      dbx: warning: could not put in breakpoint
      dbx: warning: internal handler (-91) made defunct -- could not enable event BPT

Does this message mean I need to install and use 64-bit Solaris Studio Debugging and Analysis Tools 12.3? But I tried to search the 64-bit version, and could not find it. On the Oracle Solaris Studio Debugging and Analysis Tools 12.3 download web site, there is no indication of 32-bit or 64-bit version. There is only one version available for download. I am using 32-bit RHEL 6.2/Linux OS. Or this error tells me that I need to use 64-bit RHEL/Linux OS? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Yuxin Xu
        • 1. Re: Solaris Studio Debugging and Analysis Tools 12.3
          user12607763
          The Studio product includes both 32 and 64 bit versions of the tools, so as you noticed, there is no separate
          64-bit version to download. I suspect the problem you are seeing has more to do with trying to debug a core
          files on a system other than where the core file was generated. There are many subtle differences in system library
          files and interfaces, even within different versions of the same OS, that can make this difficult, but possible
          (see: http://developers.sun.com/solaris/articles/DebugLibraries/DebugLibraries_content.html).
          However, trying to debug a Solaris core file on Linux is not something that I think any tool can handle.
          • 2. Re: Solaris Studio Debugging and Analysis Tools 12.3
            user12615462
            When running 32-bit RHEL, you cannot run any 64-bit process, nor can you examine a 64-bit core file.
            A 64-bit file from Solaris 10 cannot be debugged on Linux; you should do it on Solaris 10, and preferably
            the same Solaris 10 where the core file was generated (at the dbx prompt, type "help core mismatch").
            Oracle Solaris Studio always ships with a 32-bit dbx and a 64-bit dbx. On a 32-bit OS, you can only run
            the 32-bit dbx, which is what you are seeing. On a 64-bit OS, the default is to run the 64-bit dbx.
            • 3. Re: Solaris Studio Debugging and Analysis Tools 12.3
              Thanks a lot, guys!!