3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 14, 2012 1:01 PM by Ashutosh(297484) RSS

Clarification on Item Status codes

mlang
      Hoping someone can help clarify something for me, please.

We've currently got 3 commonly used item status codes set up:
      - Active - everything switched on
      - Inactive - everything switched off
      - Non-Purch - everything on except purchasable.

My question is what can actually be done in Inactive/Non-Purch.

The functional requirements of our statuses need to be:
      - Stock free to be purchased and transacted.
      - Not allowed to purchase or transact item at all.
      - Not allowed to purchase new items (via BPAs) into stock, but still want to transact the existing and recycled stock.
      - Not allowed to purchase item or install it onto network, but can receive stock in and ship it back to central stores for scrapping or component recycling.

I know this sounds silly, but we have a 3rd party WMS and I frequently see old stock coming back into stores that is being rejected by our interfaces because the item isn't active. That leads me to wonder what documents come under Internal Orders Enabled and Purchasable? Are internal requisitions purchasing documents and so falling afoul of an unticked Purchasable flag?

It's better for our transactions, at the moment, for all items to be active, so I'm tempted to create a new status that is effectively active but gives people a clear visual clue that an item is going out of use. But obviously the better option would be to know exactly what's restricted by the flag options.

Hope that's not too stupid.

ta
      Matt
        • 1. Re: Clarification on Item Status codes
          Sandeep Gandhi, Consultant
          Your existing statuses will satisfy the first 3 requirements.
          Stock free to be purchased and transacted. >>> ACTIVE
          - Not allowed to purchase or transact item at all. >>>> INACTIVE
          - Not allowed to purchase new items (via BPAs) into stock, but still want to transact the existing and recycled stock. >>> NON-PURCH

For the 4th requirement, you may consider making item status controlled at ORG level.
          This way, you can make the item NON-PURCH at your DC. This will ensure that you can't buy the item at DC anymore but keep using it.
          And you can leave the item ACTIVE at Central Stores. This way, you can receive the stock back.

Sandeep Gandhi
          • 2. Re: Clarification on Item Status codes
            mlang
            Thanks for this reply (and sorry for the delay in responding).

Your answer has gone some way in clarifying issues for me.

I'm still getting a "Inventory item ID is invalid or does not have the flags enabled correctly to be processed by material processor" error in TOI when my item status at master level is set to Non-Purchasable (all ticked except Purchasable).

Is that because of the Make or Buy option still being left as Buy? (If it is, is there a standard way of auto updating this field based on status?)

Is there a document somewhere that details the validation required by material processor?

Thanks
            • 3. Re: Clarification on Item Status codes
              Ashutosh(297484)
              what transaction are you trying to do when the error is encountered.
              Know the step will help narrow down the cause.
              thanks