This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: May 31, 2012 7:00 AM by 940517 RSS

Java 7u4 and IE9 freeze when loading applet

940517 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
We have an applet that works fine with most combinations of web browser and java plugin except for IE9 and Java7. In this case it freezes the browser which then has to be closed from the task manager (killing the process).
It sometimes works but eventually it will freeze.

This freeze occurs with this combination:
Java Plug-in 10.4.0.22
Using JRE version 1.7.0_04-b22 Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM
IE 9.0.8112.16421 64-bit-Edition
on Windows 7

And also with this combination:
Java Plug-in 10.4.0.22
Using JRE version 1.7.0_04-b22 Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
IE9 9.0.8112.16421 (32-bit-Edition)
on Windows 7

It seems like the registered bug with id 7072601 (Java 7 crashes with Internet Explorer 9 ) but this is, according to the bug report, fixed in 7u2(b03).

Does anyone know of a workaround for this?
  • 1. Re: Java 7u4 and IE9 freeze when loading applet
    gimbal2 Guru
    A workaround would be: don't use IE9. You want a solution, not a workaround.

I think at this juncture you are best of creating a new bug report and be sure to reference the old closed one. It doesn't look entirely related though, your symptoms are different from what is described in it (freeze VS a crash). You tried this on several systems right? Also on machines on a different network?

http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=7072601
  • 2. Re: Java 7u4 and IE9 freeze when loading applet
    940517 Newbie
    I have now filed a bug report and I received an email from Ingrid at Oracle that they need more information.
    The email states that it is possible to reply to the email with more information but the reply address doesn't work (incidentupdatedaemon@sun.com). I tried to replace sun.com with oracle.com but this didn't work either.

Does anybody know how to reply to these emails?

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points