10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2012 5:47 PM by beyerch2

FDM Batch Processing Error 75 Path/File Access Error

Pippy G
      All,

I am currently trying to get batch processing to work on FDM v.9.3.3. I have come across a rather curous error message. The error message I recieve is Error 75 Path/File Access error as shown below.

The obvious response which I would expect is that the account that I am using doesnt have adequate permissions access to the Batch folder, however I have checked this with numerous tech guys at my org and they have all confirmed the permissions have full control.

To confuse matters further the batch processing has worked intermittently but will stop working literally minutes later , the error will appear even though nothing has changed i.e. new files or same files under the same login.

With Oracle's advice I downloaded PROCMON to get more detail and I received a "Share Violation" on the path for the Open batch folder.

I really don't know where I am going wrong as ther permissions seem adequate, I would appreciate anyones help on this

Thanks

** Begin FDM Runtime Error Log Entry [2012-05-31-16:46:48] **
      -------------------------------------------------------------
      ERROR:
      Code......................................... 75
      Description.................................. Path/File access error
      Procedure.................................... clsBatchLoad.fFileCollectionCreate
      Component.................................... upsWBatchLoaderDM
      Version...................................... 933
      Thread....................................... 11708

IDENTIFICATION:
      User......................................... pgill
      Computer Name................................ UKLTCVM-HYP93P
      App Name..................................... FDMTheBigH
      Client App................................... WorkBench

CONNECTION:
      Provider..................................... SQLOLEDB
      Data Server.................................. EULHR-MSSQL01
      Database Name................................ HyperionFDM931
      Trusted Connect.............................. False
      Connect Status.. Connection Open

GLOBALS:
      Location..................................... UKOPS_JDE
      Location ID.................................. 751
      Location Seg................................. 4
      Category..................................... Actual
      Category ID.................................. 12
      Period....................................... May - 2012
      Period ID.................................... 31/05/2012
      POV Local.................................... False
      Language..................................... 1033
      User Level................................... 1
      All Partitions............................... True
      Is Auditor................................... False
        • 1. Re: FDM Batch Processing Error 75 Path/File Access Error
          beyerch2
          The following are the most likely causes to this error:

- File path / file name specified are invalid. When you monitored with ProcMon, what was the result of the File Create operation? That record would show you the exact name/path specified and the OS result code. Do you have that information?

- You are attempting to overwrite a read only file / existing file.
          1) As I don't use this functionality everday, I can't comment explictly as to how FDM is creating the file; however, there are two different primary file creation operations. One works for creating new files that do not already exist. The other works for creating new / overwritting any existing files. I can't believe they would have this wrong as people would have problems all over the place, but ... This would be easy to see with the ProcMon output as well.
          *2) If the file is read only, you cannot overwrite it, period. (even if you have the proper permissions). You will first need to remove the read-only attribute from the file. You can remove the read-only attribute two ways : a.) Right click on the file and go to properties. If the Read Only box is checked, uncheck it. b.) from a command line use the attrib command : attrib -r filename.txt*

- Another process has an exclusive lock on the file preventing you from writing to it. Files can only be opened for writing once at a time, though they can be open concurrently multiple times for Read Only operations. In order to write the file, your process will need to get an exclusive lock and if that fails, you could get this message. You should be able to view which processes are accessing the file in question using procmon.
          1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: FDM Batch Processing Error 75 Path/File Access Error
            Pippy G
            Hi

I've attached what I think you mean by the output from PROCMON (apologies a bit new to this SW), I've only attached the line which produces the "Sharing Violation" if that helps. If this isn't correct and if your more familiar with PROCMON then I'd appreciate a steer in right direction to get the output.

08:19:09.3215179     Workbench.exe     7700     CreateFile     \\UKLTCVM-HYP93P\FDMdata\FDMTheBigH\Inbox\Batches\OpenBatch     SHARING VIOLATION     Desired Access: Read Attributes, Delete, Synchronize, Disposition: Open, Options: Synchronous IO Non-Alert, Open Reparse Point, Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, Write, Delete, AllocationSize: n/a

Furthermore I've checked the files and all files in my testing do not have the read-only attribute, so we can discount that possibility.

In terms of your last possibility I will need to check with my tech guys on another process having an exclusive lock.
            • 3. Re: FDM Batch Processing Error 75 Path/File Access Error
              beyerch2
              Ok......

Two things:
              #1 - The error message below appears to show a path, but no file name? Can I confirm that OpenBatch is a folder? If so, perhaps the issue is that for whatever reason FDM is missing the file name? Is this some type of custom script that could possibly have a bug in it?

(Sub-note, though I know you guys checked permissions already)
              #2 -
              Now, what user account did your IT department verify has access to that share? The account you logged onto Windows with, the account you signed into workbench with, the FDM Service account that you configured during the install?

Workbench.exe should be running under the Windows User account that you logged on with. I would start by confirming that the account workbench is operating under is the one that has permissions.

Additionally, you need to make sure that the Share permissions align with the NTFS permissions in case they are just looking at NTFS. (It's possible, though not very likely, that they are different)

To confirm which user is running workbench.exe, start workbench and then go to task manager, click on the processes tab, make sure show processes from all users, find the workbench.exe process and look at the user listed in the User Name column.
              • 4. Re: FDM Batch Processing Error 75 Path/File Access Error
                Pippy G
                Hi,

Thanks again for the speedy response.

To your first response the open batch name is definately a folder pre-prescribed by FDM to be solely used for batch processing, the script it runs off is generated automatically by FDM batch processing once I have designated the load balance server and whether i want a single load or multi load (single load in my case).

The account that is used to run the batch processing is a hyperion service account which has access to all FDM components and configured during installation. Furthermore its the same account that i use to log into the windows account and log into workbench.

We have checked all permissions for this account and again can confirm all permissions seem appropriate.

Following on from my previous update we have made some progress as to what is causing the problem. Earlier I mentioned that batch processing would function intermittently which seems odd. Through trial and error we discovered that when logged on to the server and navigating through to Computer management it appears that under shares; users in the organisation have sessions running on the server.

As soon as we kill off their sessions the batch processing works perfectly, however after checking all folder shares on the server these users dont appear to have any access. We have restricted all access to all hyperion folders to only the admin and service account, but yet sessions still seem to appear for random users in the org. So we're at a point where we understand that batch processing has a share violation because random users have sessions running on the server but what we dont know is how they are accessing.

We tested again by trial and error what these users were opening and it seems just being logged on to the org network and being a non-HFM/FDM user they still appeared. They have not accessed anything on the network but still were having sessions on computer management. I think this is more of security setup issue rather than FDM batch processing but if you have any experience with this would be a great help.

Me and the IT dept believe only admin and service account should have permissions to the server, however from the intial setup it appears that a Hyperion user group has been setup. We attempted to remove that permision and that solved the sessions starting however users were no longer able to access HFM or FDM. In fairness we're pciking this up from previous guys who set this up but the IT guys are trying to figure out how to only have the admin and SVC account to have permissions but yet let HFM users have access to the web form. (by the way our FDM and HFM all run off the same server)

Sorry for long winded message but wanted to give as much detail of our testing
                • 5. Re: FDM Batch Processing Error 75 Path/File Access Error
                  beyerch2
                  So the server UKLTCVM-HYP93P mentioned in the file share is the same server that FDM is actually running on, it's not a different machine?

If so, I would change the FDM application path from a UNC path to a physical path. \\UKLTCVM-HYP93P to D:\ (or whatever drive letter)

You can find this in the file : HyperionFDMApplications.xml which is stored in : <drive letter>:\Oracle\Middleware\EPMSystem11R1\products\FinancialDataQuality\SharedComponents\Config

The reason we use the UNC path generally is because the storage is on a different server for scalability purposes. If you are running everything on one server, that doesn't really apply. Since I vaguely recall there being some issues with UNC paths under specific circumstances, it won't hurt to try removing that from the equation.

Make a copy of the file before you change it, save the changes, restart and try again.

Charles
                  • 6. Re: FDM Batch Processing Error 75 Path/File Access Error
                    Pippy G
                    Yes the mentioned server also has FDM running on it.

I went ahead and changed the path to D:\ instead of the UNC but unfortunately no improvement.

going back to computer managementm, I have ensured all shared folders are heavily restricted to a few individuals. But randomly I will see users across the organisation popping up with sessions on the Hyperion server. As explained before the batch processing sees this as a share violation hence the problems with batch processing.

My IT guys are a bit stumped as they have never seen users access a session without access, but they themsleves have verified the limited access. I know this is going slightly off topic but if you or anyone has experience with folder shares and their implications, I would appreciate any insight.
                    • 7. Re: FDM Batch Processing Error 75 Path/File Access Error
                      beyerch2
                      With this type of problem, the only way to do anything more is to see it first hand, I'm afraid.

I'm curious if you have opened a ticket with Oracle support yet?
                      • 8. Re: FDM Batch Processing Error 75 Path/File Access Error
                        Pippy G
                        Thats fair enough. I have a call open with Oracle which is still under their review, however I am anticipating their response to be that this doesnt come under the scope of their support as it seems to be a configuration issue.

Thanks for all the insight and help you've provided.

Cheers

Pips
                        • 9. Re: FDM Batch Processing Error 75 Path/File Access Error
                          Pippy G
                          I believe we have resolved the issue.

Earlier I mentioned I had used PROCMON which came up with a share violation error. Upon further investigation and trial/error we noticed the problem; in our lights off process our source files are run from our source financial system JDE. As part of that process JDE would populate to a certain location on our enterprise servers.

To have full automation we ensured that a script was written (similar to a process of FTP) to ensure the files are picked up at regular times and transferred to the "Open Batch" folder on the Hyperion server. In order to do this the folder has to be shared, however somewhere in that process the share got tagged to our finance team group and hence this folder was permanently mapped on their PC machines.

Although they dont have access, sessions would appear and remain idle on the shared folder which would cause a share violation when the actual service account would run batch processing.

I hope the above makes sense, in summary the problem i had was caused internally rather than the batch processing functionality itself.

Thanks again for all your help
                          • 10. Re: FDM Batch Processing Error 75 Path/File Access Error
                            beyerch2
                            Glad you found that one, definitely trickier than the average issue around here! ;)

Charles