1 Reply Latest reply: Jun 1, 2012 3:23 AM by 817614 RSS

Java 7.4u+JNLP+pack200 cannot load internationalization resources on applet

I have a Java Applet running on production for around 8 months. So far, this coded didn't need any updates because all functionalities were working properly or at least no break was reported and it's used quite often.

It is distributed using JNLP with version control and compression and it has several internationalization files as language resources.

Since the update 4 of Java 7 the applet functionality broke. If I downgrade to update 3 it works again.

The problem with update 4, is that when the applet starts to load, it says it cannot find the language resource files , the stack trace is the normal in this situation:

java.util.MissingResourceException: Can't find bundle for base name internationalization/MessagesBundle, locale en_US
           at java.util.ResourceBundle.throwMissingResourceException(Unknown Source)
           at java.util.ResourceBundle.getBundleImpl(Unknown Source)
           at java.util.ResourceBundle.getBundle(Unknown Source)
           at com.products.authsignapplet.applet.Applet.readParameters(Applet.java:325)
           at com.products.authsignapplet.applet.Applet.init(Applet.java:186)
           at com.sun.deploy.uitoolkit.impl.awt.AWTAppletAdapter.init(Unknown Source)
           at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2Manager$AppletExecutionRunnable.run(Unknown Source)
           at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

As I said, this happens only after you update java to 7.4. Plus, if I do not use compression, setting to false the flag '<property name="jnlp.packEnabled" value="false"/>' and giving it a non compressed jar file, this problem no longer occurs.

I read the update release notes 'http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/7u4-relnotes-1575007.html' but couldn't find a reference that could be causing this problem.

Any ideas? I could go on without jar compression, but I think it's much more desirable to have it compressed

Thank you

Edited by: Caden on Jun 4, 2012 3:41 AM