This discussion is archived
1 2 3 Previous Next 34 Replies Latest reply: Jun 6, 2012 10:40 AM by rukbat Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: GUI for OEL6 on Blade Server
    941190 Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated
    Thank you for your reply sb

I will wait for some more time to see if someone has a clue about the fonts that you mentioned. Otherwise I will take your advise and go ahead with OEL5 installation.

Thank you once again for your time and help.
  • 16. Re: GUI for OEL6 on Blade Server
    Dude! Guru
    Fonts are usually not the problem since Xming comes with essential fonts - it is only a warning and pretty normal. Since you are forwarding X11, you do not need to install any X11 fonts on your Linux server - it won't matter since you are using the X server on your Windows machine.

I have seen problems like empty X11 client windows, etc. before and they are often because of some fancy desktop settings in Windows like 3D effects, Aero, font or button "enhancements", etc..., which can interfere with your X server on the Windows machine and screw up proper function. The Java based Oracle Installer is picky about it, including some Linux desktop versions.

Did you install the latest version of Xming? I suggest to turn off any fancy Display settings on your MS-Windows machine.

It can also be a combination of problems, not necessarily because fonts are missing, but because of your MS Windows display settings. For what it's worth, you can try to install additional X11 fonts for Xming:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/xming/files/

Edited by: Dude on Jun 4, 2012 3:21 PM
  • 17. Re: GUI for OEL6 on Blade Server
    941190 Newbie
    Hi Dude

Thank you for your reply.

I installed Xming-6-9-0-31 and then I installed Xming-fonts-7-5-0-47 as per your suggestion. Unfortunately it did not work and same warnings of "Missing charsets in String xx" appears.

There are no fancy settings in my Windows machine. Just that I am using 2 monitors. To eliminate the possibility that this could be causing the issue I installed X Server on a different Windows XP machine and that did not work either. Is it possible that I missed some configuration on Linux server that maybe causing this?

I just tried using it with Windows 7 but results are exactly the same.

Edited by: 938187 on Jun 4, 2012 10:13 PM
  • 18. Re: GUI for OEL6 on Blade Server
    Dude! Guru
    Have you tried windows "save mode with networking"?

Maybe you will have more luck with a different X server, using .e.g. MobaXterm from http://mobaxterm.mobatek.net

For further troubleshooting, please describe as close as possible what are you getting when you open "xlcock", and what when you run the Oracle Installer.

I can't think of any other reason beside the network dropping packets, RAM issues or windows display driver or setting compatibility with your MS Windows installation.

Edited by: Dude on Jun 5, 2012 10:09 AM
  • 19. Re: GUI for OEL6 on Blade Server
    941190 Newbie
    Hi Dude

Thank you for your reply.

I am using MobaX, previously I used Xming. Both with same results. When i invoke Installer a new blank window opens just like xclock.

About starting the PC in safe mode with networking, I will try it and post the details.

I don't know how to describe it in more details since I have explained everything already. Just one thing that I noticed. With Oracle Installer there is no font error that I see instead just a blank window pops up.

$ ./runInstaller
    Starting Oracle Universal Installer...

Checking Temp space: must be greater than 120 MB. Actual 43907 MB Passed
    Checking swap space: must be greater than 150 MB. Actual 10031 MB Passed
    Checking monitor: must be configured to display at least 256 colors. Actual 65536 Passed
    Preparing to launch Oracle Universal Installer from /tmp/OraInstall2012-06-05_11-00-45PM. Please wait ...[oracle@database]$
  • 20. Re: GUI for OEL6 on Blade Server
    sb92075 Guru
    OUI creates log file which may contain additional clues
  • 21. Re: GUI for OEL6 on Blade Server
    941190 Newbie
    Hi sb

Following are the contents of the log file.

Using paramFile: /home/oracle/OracleSoftware/database/install/oraparam.ini

Checking Temp space: must be greater than 120 MB. Actual 43907 MB Passed
    Checking swap space: must be greater than 150 MB. Actual 10031 MB Passed
    Checking monitor: must be configured to display at least 256 colors. Actual 65536 Passed

The commandline for unzip:
    /home/oracle/OracleSoftware/database/install/unzip -qqqo ../stage/Components/oracle.jdk/1.5.0.30.03/1/DataFiles/\*.jar -d /tmp/OraInstall2012-06-05_11-00-45PM
    Using the umask value '022' available from oraparam.ini

Execvp of the child jre : the cmdline is /tmp/OraInstall2012-06-05_11-00-45PM/jdk/jre/bin/java, and the argv is
    /tmp/OraInstall2012-06-05_11-00-45PM/jdk/jre/bin/java
    -Doracle.installer.library_loc=/tmp/OraInstall2012-06-05_11-00-45PM/oui/lib/linux64
    -Doracle.installer.oui_loc=/tmp/OraInstall2012-06-05_11-00-45PM/oui
    -Doracle.installer.bootstrap=TRUE
    -Doracle.installer.startup_location=/home/oracle/OracleSoftware/database/install
    -Doracle.installer.jre_loc=/tmp/OraInstall2012-06-05_11-00-45PM/jdk/jre
    -Doracle.installer.nlsEnabled="TRUE"
    -Doracle.installer.prereqConfigLoc=
    -Doracle.installer.unixVersion=2.6.32-220.el6.x86_64
    -mx150m
    -cp
  • 22. Re: GUI for OEL6 on Blade Server
    sb92075 Guru
    938187 wrote:

Execvp of the child jre : the cmdline is /tmp/OraInstall2012-06-05_11-00-45PM/jdk/jre/bin/java, and the argv is
    OUI is JAVA based code & it throws an exception for seemingly unknown reasons.

Given the reality that Oracle was released on OEL6 less than a month ago,
    you could be hitting a bug.

Consider opening a Service Request with Oracle Support
  • 23. Re: GUI for OEL6 on Blade Server
    Dude! Guru
    Your problem seems to be a system resource or display compatibility issue.

Have you tried exchanging files with the server using SFTP and is the performance reasonable?

Have you tried running xclock logging in as a different user than Oracle?

Have you tried windows safe mode with networking yet?

Are you meeting the minimum RAM requirements on the server? What it the output of the "free" command on the Linux server? Java can be memory intensive.

Do you have enough RAM on your Windows system?
  • 24. Re: GUI for OEL6 on Blade Server
    941190 Newbie
    Hi Dude

I have installed VSFTP and it works good performance-wise.
    I tried many times running xclock with root but results were same.
    RAM is 8GB and since it is a fresh installation with basic packages therefore it does not seem likely that all of 8GB is utilized by some processes. Following is the result of the command you requested.
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:       8028988    5936824    2092164          0      49184    5602920
    -/+ buffers/cache:     284720    7744268
    Swap:     10272760          0   10272760

Top command shows following

PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND
    12758 oracle    20   0 15012 1280  952 R  0.7  0.0   0:00.93 top
        1 root      20   0 19204 1444 1176 S  0.0  0.0   0:01.03 init
        2 root      20   0     0    0    0 S  0.0  0.0   0:00.04 kthreadd
        3 root      RT   0     0    0    0 S  0.0  0.0   0:00.81 migration/0
        4 root      20   0     0    0    0 S  0.0  0.0   0:00.00 ksoftirqd/0
    One thing I would like to mention here is the fact that when I used MobaXtern X Server and connected with oracle user account to a different linux machine running Enterprise Linux Enterprise Linux Server release 5.2 (Carthage), xclock appeared fine, I did receive the first warning though
    "Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion"
    but the other warning "Warning: Cannot convert string "" to type XftFont" did not appear .

I am quite convinced that the issue is with OEL 6 and not with the X server that I have configured. I cannot however figure out what exactly am I missing here since I am new to Linux. If you still want me to try with Safe Mode let me know.

Thank you for all your help and support.
  • 25. Re: GUI for OEL6 on Blade Server
    Dude! Guru
    Well, it does indeed look like a problem with OL 6 now. To be honest, I have no idea right now what the problem might be. Maybe something with the SSH server configuration, but why would it show a blank xclock window? Strange.

Are you using any other locale setting than English? What happens if you type "LANG=C xclock"?

Are you using OL 6.2 with latest updates installed?
  • 26. Re: GUI for OEL6 on Blade Server
    941190 Newbie
    Hi Dude!

Thank you for your prompt response.

My current locale setting is English (US). I tried using LANG=C xclock but results were unfortunately the same.

I installed OL 6.2 from ISO that I downloaded from oracle site. I did not perform up2date. I think it is a good idea. I will update the box and try again and confirm the results to you.

I cannot thank you and sb enough for all your time and efforts in helping me resolve this issue.
  • 27. Re: GUI for OEL6 on Blade Server
    941190 Newbie
    Hi Dude

I just finished updating packages, rebooted the server and tried again but unfortunately xclock is still a blank window.

I will use OL5 instead.

Thank you for your time.
  • 28. Re: GUI for OEL6 on Blade Server
    Dude! Guru
    Perhaps one more try. What happens if you use "xclock -norender" ?
  • 29. Re: GUI for OEL6 on Blade Server
    941190 Newbie
    Dude!

You are a genius :-)

-norender displayed the clock perfectly. Warning messages are still there but I am not bothered about them as long as they dont interfere in my installation.

Thank you so much for everything.

I will try to learn more about the -norender option

Thank you once again for your great support.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points