3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 4, 2012 4:39 PM by Matthew Morris RSS

1Z0-146 - Exam Preparation

VI
      Hi everyone,

I have decided to write 1Z0-146 - Oracle Advanced PL/SQL Developer Certified Professional. I have found one of the best material to prepare for exam is Oracle PL/SQL Programming: Covers Versions Through Oracle Database 11g Release 2 (Animal Guide) by Steven Feuerstein, Bill Pribyl ( [url http://www.amazon.com/Oracle-PL-SQL-Programming-Versions/dp/0596514468] Oracle PL/SQL Programming: Covers Versions Through Oracle Database 11g Release 2  ). but I am little bit confused with another book Oracle Advanced PL/SQL Developer Professional Guide by Saurabh Gupta ( [url http://www.amazon.com/dp/1849687226/ref=rdr_ext_sb_ti_hist_2]Oracle Advanced PL/SQL Developer Professional Guide  ) as it's covering all the topics for the exam 1Z0-146. Please help me guys. which one I need to refer for my exam?
        • 1. Re: 1Z0-146 - Exam Preparation
          bigdelboy
          Vi wrote:
          Hi everyone,

I have decided to write 1Z0-146 - Oracle Advanced PL/SQL Developer Certified Professional. I have found one of the best material to prepare for exam is Oracle PL/SQL Programming: Covers Versions Through Oracle Database 11g Release 2 (Animal Guide) by Steven Feuerstein, Bill Pribyl ( [url http://www.amazon.com/Oracle-PL-SQL-Programming-Versions/dp/0596514468] Oracle PL/SQL Programming: Covers Versions Through Oracle Database 11g Release 2  ). but I am little bit confused with another book Oracle Advanced PL/SQL Developer Professional Guide by Saurabh Gupta ( [url http://www.amazon.com/dp/1849687226/ref=rdr_ext_sb_ti_hist_2]Oracle Advanced PL/SQL Developer Professional Guide  ) as it's covering all the topics for the exam 1Z0-146. Please help me guys. which one I need to refer for my exam?
          Please remember the most authorative information on the topics is the Oracle Online documentation, and that sometimes is better than the books, thought sometimes you may mind a book more convenient to learn from.

In general Feuerstein's book is generally rated at least very good for learning PL/SQL topics. However that said I think some have said the Oracle Press book ISBN-13: 978-0071493697 covers the contents better. Both of these are PL/SQL orientated learning guides.

I believe Gupta's book is more of an exam orientated guide. I have currently seen no reviews (and certainly not verifiably independent reviews) of its quality. The author had a thread here announcing the book, I certainly had a couple of questions to him about it, some answers were received to a middling satsificatory level (eg incorrect page count at amazon), and others ignored, and then the thread was removed! I have had no reason for that's thread's removal. This books contains sample questions ('plenty' of them according to the cover). Whether they are of good quality or not, and whether they are braindump or breach of copyright I cannot say for 100% certainty, though with Packt as the publisher I would hope not.

Matthew Morris, who currently often contributes to this forum, has indicated he may prepare a guide of 1z0-146 (after 1z0-144) in the not to distant future. I have not reviewed this work, so again it is an unknown to me. This is not there yet, but may be at some point.

I assume Gupta's and Morris' books are orientated for those who know PL/SQL well and but need to identify and cover some area's they may not normally practice in preparation for the exam. I will however defer to either Author's comments on how the're books may be used for exam preparation.
          • 2. Re: 1Z0-146 - Exam Preparation
            VI
            Hi,

I have done my OCA and I am working as PL/sql developer for more than a year. so to do my OCP which one I can refer.
            • 3. Re: 1Z0-146 - Exam Preparation
              Matthew Morris
              ...so to do my OCP which one I can refer.
              Vi:

It's difficult to suggest a book even if you have read it. No book is universally loved by everyone. A few people have indicated they used Feuerstein's book. No one here has posted an opinion of Gupta's book except the author. It might be great. It might be horrible. I generally do my research for Oracle Certification exams from the Oracle documentation. It's also where I get the information for the books I've written. Every single piece of information you need to pass the test is in the docs, and they are all free. The downside of using the documentation is that it's a lot of work and very time-consuming. What you're paying for when you get a certification guide is the research time of the author to avoid having to spend that research time on your own. If the author did a good job of researching the right information and a good job of presenting it in an understandable fashion, it's a good book. Miss the mark on either of the two and it's a bad one.

Anyway -- long tangent aside, I'd recommend looking at the topics for the 1Z0-146 exam and note which ones you think you're weak on. Whichever book you choose. make sure that you put extra effort into those topics. A number of people have indicated that the SelfTest Software practice test for this exam was also helpful.