This discussion is archived
1 Reply Latest reply: Jun 6, 2012 7:07 AM by gimbal2 RSS

MissingFieldException[ The following required field is missing from the lau

941956 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi, I'm new to this forum so please put this thread in the right place if I have made a mistake.

But here's my problem:
I'm using jre 7 with the latest version.
I downloaded and wanted to launch a Java based .jar game, which runs perfectly for the other users but my JRE gives the following error:

Application error - unable to launch the application.
MissingFieldException[ The following required field is missing from the launch file: <jnlp>]
     at com.sun.javaws.jnl.XMLFormat.parse(Unknown Source)
     at com.sun.javaws.jnl.LaunchDescFactory.buildDescriptor(Unknown Source)
     at com.sun.javaws.Main.launchApp(Unknown Source)
     at com.sun.javaws.Main.continueInSecureThread(Unknown Source)
     at com.sun.javaws.Main.access$000(Unknown Source)
     at com.sun.javaws.Main$1.run(Unknown Source)
     at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

On the forum where is the game developed i got the following answer:
''+it seems your OS/jre installation tries to start the jar as an applet which fails, because it's a regular application and not an applet. is there any way you can convince your jre to start LS as an application? i would like to give better/more detailed advice, but i'm not running windows, so i can't check for myself/try to work out a step-by-step guide.+ ''

As I have browsed the internet for hours and haven't come up with a solution I'm asking for some help.
  • 1. Re: MissingFieldException[ The following required field is missing from the lau
    gimbal2 Guru
    Currently Being Moderated
    That error seems to indicate that the JNLP file is broken because it is missing the starting starting <jnlp> XML tag; I'll take a guess and just say that it is completely empty. Since it works for other users, apparently somehow when you download it on your computer you end up with a broken file. No idea why, no way for me to know why either. I don't have access to your computer. All I can say is: try in another browser and if that doesn't work, try on another computer. If it works there, well then you may have to face the fact that your computer might need a clean install.

And PS: this is a Java programming forum, not technical support for whatever game you want to play that just happens to use Java.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points