3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 10, 2012 8:56 AM by 800808 RSS

How to mount USB & CDROM drives from single user mode - Solaris boot disk?

Hi All,

I need to carry out ufsrestore on a single newly replaced system disk (no redundancy / mirroring) from either USB or CDROM drives from the following steps:
      ( i ) GRUB => e, e, cdrom –s, Enter, b (boot from Solaris 10 x86 media).
      ( ii ) Choose menu 1 for Install Solaris Interactive Mode to reach single user mode.
      Below are the commands that I have tried in single user mode without success:
      mount –r –F pcfs /dev/dsk/c1t0d0p0 /cdrom (after unmount Solaris CD)
        mount: /dev/dsk/c1t0d0p0 is not a DOS filesystem.

svcadm –v enable smserver
        svcadm: Pattern ‘smserver’ doesn’t match any instances

svcadm enable autofs
        svcadm: Pattern ‘autofs’ doesn’t match any instances

devfsadm
        devfsadm: mkdir failed for /dev 0s1ed: Read-only file system

mkdir /mnt
        mkdir: Failed to make directory “/mnt”; Read-only file system
      Part of the problem is due to the current READ ONLY filesystems which does not allow the creation of mount point such as /mnt.

I have been able to create both / root (/dev/dsk/c1t0d0s0) and /export/home (/dev/dsk/c1t0d0s0) filesystems with newfs that are awaiting for restore using ufsrestore.

The only option I am left with is to attach a secondary disk to install Solaris 10 on either of them before bring the system to multi-user mode so that service such as volmgt, autofs, volfs are available to access USB & CDROM drives.

Any suggestion on how to resolve this issue?

Many thanks,

Jack
        • 1. Re: How to mount USB & CDROM drives from single user mode - Solaris boot disk?
          Hi

Hope you have booted from Solaris installation disk. See whether there is a directory name "a" and you can mount the cd to this mountpoint and do the restore.
          Hope this will solve your problem.

Thanks & Regards
          JKGN
          • 2. Re: How to mount USB & CDROM drives from single user mode - Solaris boot disk?
            Hi JKGN,

Is the directory a located under the root filesystem. ie /a? Are there any other mount point for say USB drive as well? I am not in a position to try it out right now but will get back

to you soon on whether /a exist or not.

Btw, the last thing I managed to do on this system at the time was added a secondary 1TB internal disk with the intention to restore both / and /export/home data onto this disk while

making use of all the disk device management services such as the following services only available in a fully installed Solaris system (both single & multi-user modes) installed on the

primary disk:
            # svcs smserver
            STATE          STIME    FMRI
            online         Jun_08   svc:/network/rpc/smserver:default
            # svcs autofs
            STATE          STIME    FMRI
            online         Jun_08   svc:/system/filesystem/autofs:default
            # devfsadm

# iostat -En
            c1t0d0           Soft Errors: 0 Hard Errors: 0 Transport Errors: 0 
            Vendor: ATA      Product: SAMSUNG HD321KJ  Revision: 0-11 Serial No:  
            Size: 320.07GB <320072932864 bytes>
            Media Error: 0 Device Not Ready: 0 No Device: 0 Recoverable: 0 
            Illegal Request: 41 Predictive Failure Analysis: 0 
            c0t0d0           Soft Errors: 0 Hard Errors: 5 Transport Errors: 0 
            Vendor: PHILIPS  Product: DVD+-RW DVD8801  Revision: AD21 Serial  
            Size: 17.54GB <17538875392 bytes>
            Media Error: 0 Device Not Ready: 5 No Device: 0 Recoverable: 0 
            Illegal Request: 10 Predictive Failure Analysis: 0 
            c2t0d0           Soft Errors: 0 Hard Errors: 0 Transport Errors: 0 
            Vendor: JetFlash Product: Transcend 16GB   Revision: 1100 Serial No:  
            Size: 0.00GB <0 bytes>
            Media Error: 0 Device Not Ready: 0 No Device: 0 Recoverable: 0 
            Illegal Request: 7 Predictive Failure Analysis: 0

# rmformat
            Looking for devices...
                 1. Volmgt Node: /vol/dev/aliases/cdrom0
                    Logical Node: /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s2
                    Physical Node: /pci@0,0/pci-ide@1f,1/ide@0/sd@0,0
                    Connected Device: PHILIPS  DVD+-RW DVD8801  AD21
                    Device Type: DVD Reader/Writer
            However, I was disappointed that "iostat -En" has not found the secondary disk (1 TB) even though it was available earlier, for Solaris installation as the only disk on the same system.

As a result, I am left with no option but the need to rebuild this system with only a single primary disk while in single user mode. However, the single user mode that I am in is the

one from Solaris installation disk with restrictive (_cannot create folder for mount point or running disk management utilities_) capability such as those services just covered, compared to one from a completed Solaris installation system with full access to all filesystems and utilities / commands in general.

I would very much value your assistance on how to mount both CD & USB in this restrictive limited Read Only OS (assume that it is running from memory) in order to get complete access to

the blank primary disk so that full restore with ufsrestore could take place.

Thanks in advance,

Jack

Edited by: 797805 on 9/06/2012 04:15
            • 3. Re: How to mount USB & CDROM drives from single user mode - Solaris boot disk?
              Hi JKGN,

I have been able to mount a 4.0GB FAT32 formatted USB drive on to /a as recommended and is on the way to rebuilding the system using ufsrestore from past ufsdump backup.

Thanks so much for your valuable advice in the meantime.

Jack