9 Replies Latest reply: Jul 26, 2012 6:26 AM by Dark-Oracle RSS

Purpose of extracting the metadata after loading the metadata

Hypfm
      Hi Hyperion experts,

AFTER loading the metadata in File what is the reason to go for extracting and where we will use
        • 1. Re: Purpose of extracting the metadata after loading the metadata
          Cjx-Oracle
          Hi,

Well, the Extracted metadata file could be used to create a new application.

Thank you,
          Charles Babu J
          • 2. Re: Purpose of extracting the metadata after loading the metadata
            Hypfm
            Thank you for immediate response but why /where we need to create that application using extract?
            • 3. Re: Purpose of extracting the metadata after loading the metadata
              Hi,

Suppose that u have 2 instances,Test and Production.

If u want to have the replica of the Test in production, rather then creating new metadata we can extract metadata from Test and load it into Production.

or that

If u want to make some changes to the existing metadata ,we can extract,make changes and load the metadata.

Edited by: Ramesh Ilu on Jun 11, 2012 3:09 AM
              • 4. Re: Purpose of extracting the metadata after loading the metadata
                Hypfm
                Thank you very much and I have another ques is there any relation between extracting data in HFM with FDM

For importing the trail balance in FDM where we are getting that import file from HFM..I thought that this extracting file in HFM we are using Is it true or not ? please reply me..
                • 5. Re: Purpose of extracting the metadata after loading the metadata
                  hi, all friends
                  after loading metadata, explore data, if it is fine then ok, if it need any modification, then extrat data in a xml file make changes, then reload it for
                  generation of report, loading & extracting data is for the purpose of generating different types of report

thanks all
                  • 6. Re: Purpose of extracting the metadata after loading the metadata
                    Hypfm
                    Hi,

I have a doubt about extracting i.e..1.Extracting the metadata is done in Windows Client or Workspace?

2.In FDM we need any extract file from HFM
                    3.From where we are getting the import file to import in FDM.

PLEASE REPLY ME

If anybody have the Extracting document file please share me
                    • 7. Re: Purpose of extracting the metadata after loading the metadata
                      beyerch2
                      I keep the XML files around after every load for a variety of reasons :

- Loading to other applications : I'll generally make changes in dev / test and move to production. I guess I could probably get LCM to do the moving around; however, we're not big users of it at this point. I just load the file into the next app. It's pretty easy to open the client and hit load metadata. ;)

- Historical Records : Since I keep a copy of every 'major' load into the system, I can easily 'roll back' or tell you when a change was made as far back as I want.

- SOX Audits : Part of our controls is to ensure that changes loaded to production are approved through our documentation process. Having the files allows them to confirm what changes were made when.

- Point in Time comparisons : Pretty much just like the SOX Audit, I will periodically review two points in time to see what has changed. For instance, every year when I roll out our budget Smartview template, I compared the current metadata to the prior year to do a quick check to see what accounts have changed. Depending on what has changed during hte last year, I may need to update my template accordingly, etc. [I use an XML differencing tool to do the comparisons]

- Insurance : ' I'm not paranoid, I just know everyone is after me ' While I keep backups of my databases, etc, etc, I like having the file versions 'just in case'. If any of my other tools malfunction or I lose a backup, I can always grab my trusty files and reload.
                      • 8. Re: Purpose of extracting the metadata after loading the metadata
                        Hypfm
                        Hi beyearch2,

Could you please explain me about LCM briefly and why we are using and is it related to Extract?

Please reply me..

Sreenu
                        • 9. Re: Purpose of extracting the metadata after loading the metadata
                          Dark-Oracle
                          Life Cycle management utility enables to migrate application artifacts across environments.
                          It enables to migrate the provisioning information and the task flows which cannot be done using the CopyApplication utility.

It does not migrate data.
                          Please find the below URL which might be of use.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E17236_01/epm.1112/epm_lifecycle_management.pdf

Thanks and Regards,
                          LK