1 Reply Latest reply: Jul 5, 2012 7:36 AM by 719817 RSS

Getting Started with the Contract Manager API

I am looking for a quick way to move invoices that are assigned to the wrong contract or purchase order. (Right now we're deleting the current invoice and creating a new invoice on the correct contract, before re-entering all of the invoice information).

It seems that this might be as simple as changing a key on one (or more?) invoice tables to link it to the correct contract or purchase order, and that the API might be the way to do it.

So, if I wanted to investigate the API, where should I get started? I've read through most of what can be found by searching for "contract manager api" - and most of it seems to be this (http://www.oracle.com/us/products/applications/042740.pdf) or consulting companies. I'd like to see if there's somewhere with examples or a tutorial so that I can determine if this is something I can do.

Thanks!
        • 1. Re: Getting Started with the Contract Manager API
          The only documentation I have seen has come from Oracle Primavera. The documentation on the API is a little week and takes some time to get your head around. On how to make the move of existing invopices to another contract. In my experience it has been best to recreate ratehr than reassign. Of course this can cause much rework and can have ramifications.

Option 1 - Do it by hand. Best way to make sure all of the needed data and business process are followed.Keeps the summary fields calulating properely etc..

Option 2 - Use the API. Sounds eaisier than it is. Really need to be experienced at this otherwise you might as well do it by hand, in fact using the API is JUST LIKE doing it by hand since you must follow the business process in place. In cases where the data entry is so huge I'd pick this route, but we have several years of expereince leveraging the API at this point, so we can get it done. I don't know how you are loading so my exact wording might not match your tables. My approach is to untagle the existing invoices first by removing approvals (if any, certainly applies if doing pay apps). Then starting with the first one, I would load each in the order they need to entered. Several tables may need to be updated/added to: Some of these might be Master Table, SOV, Cost Detail and Attachments at the Master or SOV level. Just from my horrible exapalnation you can see there are some hairs on this.

Option 3 - Change the keys and reference numbers from the back end of the database. Normally NOT RECOMMENDED and onyly should be used in extreme cases where needed. My approach here is to contact Oracle support, discuss issue, get theri recommendation, document it then move forward if needed. Down side of this, especially in the requisition area, is that we have seen the summary information getting thrown off and not calculating properly afterwards. I have seen this more with API than with changing keys, but assume that the same issues would apply since editing from the backend would not trigger code in the applciation to update? If you go this route use Oracle as a resource and do your research to make sure you do not orphan any records in the tables. The Contract Master Key is used in several forms and sometimes the Document NUmber is used as well and both need to be updated when appropriate.