This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 14, 2012 6:39 AM by rukbat RSS

Solaris 8 ISOs

846231 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi All,

Our Sun Solaris 8 Server crashed. Where can I download the installer please.

Thanks a lot,
  • 1. Re: Solaris 8 ISOs
    rukbat Guru Moderator
    Solaris 8 was never available as a download.
    It was only offered as commercially presses media kits.

You will need to haunt your favorite online auction web site (for example, eBay).
    Solaris kits become available at such sites occasionally.
    As I type this, there do happen to be a few full kits offered. Most are really old releases, but they are Solaris 8.
  • 2. Re: Solaris 8 ISOs
    846231 Newbie
    Thanks rukbat, :)

So even if it was already acquired by Oracle it was not place on OTN downloads?

Thanks again.
  • 3. Re: Solaris 8 ISOs
    rukbat Guru Moderator
    KinsaKaUy? wrote:
    Thanks rukbat, :)

So even if it was already acquired by Oracle it was not place on OTN downloads?

Thanks again.
    Oracle acquired Sun in 2009. Sun Microsystems had already put Solaris 8 to end-of-life (EOL) status in 2007.
    I have observed that Oracle retires all products in what can be described as a very assertive or aggressive manner, so as to only present current products to customers and potential customers. The company never goes backward to "what once was".

As for Solaris 8, they would have had to assign a person or a department to go through what essentially is a remanufacturing/re-marketing/re-packaging process to create ISO's from existing (but no longer sold) media, validate that the electronic files were viable, and place them onto a delivery channel. That would have been a counter-productive exercise.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points