This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 19, 2012 7:53 AM by Joe Weinstein RSS

Weblogic 10.3.0 : Pool Disabled Exception in logs

906503 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi Frends,

We are getting the following exception in our logs :-

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxapp.log:2012-06-18 10:51:44,539 ERROR [org.hibernate.util.JDBCExceptionReporter logExceptions():72] - Cannotobtain connection: driverURL = jdbc:weblogic:pool:xyz_ds, props = {EmulateTwoPhaseCommit=true, connectionPoolID=xyz_ds, jdbcTxDataSource=true, LoggingLastResource=false, dataSourceName=xyz_ds}
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxapp.log:2012-06-18 10:51:44,543 ERROR [org.hibernate.util.JDBCExceptionReporter logExceptions():72] - weblogic.common.resourcepool.ResourceDisabledException: Pool xyz_ds is disabled, cannot allocate resources to applications..
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxapp.log:2012-06-18 10:51:44,544 ERROR [org.hibernate.util.JDBCExceptionReporter logExceptions():72] – Cannot obtain connection: driverURL = jdbc:weblogic:pool:xyz_ds, props = {EmulateTwoPhaseCommit=true, connectionPoolID=xyz_ds, jdbcTxDataSource=true, LoggingLastResource=false, dataSourceName=xyz_ds}
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxapp.log:2012-06-18 10:51:44,545 ERROR [org.hibernate.util.JDBCExceptionReporter logExceptions():72] - weblogic.common.resourcepool.ResourceDisabledException: Pool xyz_ds is disabled, cannot allocate resources to applications..
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxapp.log:2012-06-18 10:51:44,543 ERROR [org.hibernate.util.JDBCExceptionReporter logExceptions():72] - Cannotobtain connection: driverURL = jdbc:weblogic:pool:xyz_ds, props = {EmulateTwoPhaseCommit=true, connectionPoolID=xyz_ds, jdbcTxDataSource=true, LoggingLastResource=false, dataSourceName=xyz_ds}
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxapp.log:org.springframework.jdbc.UncategorizedSQLException: Hibernate operation: Cannot open connection; uncategorized SQLException for SQL [???]; SQL state [null]; error code [0]; weblogic.common.resourcepool.ResourceDisabledException: Pool xyz_ds is disabled, cannot allocate resources to applications..; nested exception is weblogic.jdbc.extensions.PoolDisabledSQLException: weblogic.common.resourcepool.ResourceDisabledException: Pool xyz_ds is disabled, cannot allocateresources to applications..
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxapp.log:weblogic.jdbc.extensions.PoolDisabledSQLException: weblogic.common.resourcepool.ResourceDisabledException: Pool xyz_ds is disabled, cannot allocate resources to applications..

I have been told that this is a known bug in Weblogic 10.3.0. My company will interact with Oracle for a patch regarding this. In the meantime i want to find a quick fix. Can anybody help me with this?

Also i want to know that how can we know for sure that the issue will go away after the patch has been applied.

Sorry if the details are too vague i am not aware about the bug id or the patch no. but please do let me know if more logs are required.
  • 1. Re: Weblogic 10.3.0 : Pool Disabled Exception in logs
    Joe Weinstein Expert
    it is not necessarily a bug. It may, but the basic symptom can be expected if/when the pool discovers a series of consecutive
    connections that fail their test, and the pool is also unable to connect to the DBMS to make replacement connections. At that
    time, the pool will self-disable and will re-enable itself automatically when it discovers it can re-connect with the DBMS. There
    may be a bug in that old WLS version, where in some cases, DBMS connectivity can be restored but the pool does not re-enable...
    Unless you have $pecial support arrangements, you will have to upgrade to something newer...
  • 2. Re: Weblogic 10.3.0 : Pool Disabled Exception in logs
    906503 Newbie
    Hi Joe,

currently the middleware team has suggested that it might be due to bug no. 8188896:-

JDBC

When JDBC is testing connection pools for hanging connections, it can sometimes disable good connection pools.The test can now take up to 10 seconds by default, and this value can be extended or made essentially unlimited by adding the following option to the line that starts Java on the server:
    -Dweblogic.resourcepool.max_test_wait_secs=15 (test can take as long as 15 seconds)
    -Dweblogic.resourcepool.max_test_wait_secs=0 (test can take unlimited time)

How can i make sure that this bug alone is the reason behind this issue? Also can you suggest any quickfix that will help me in meantime to stop the pool from disabling itself.
  • 3. Re: Weblogic 10.3.0 : Pool Disabled Exception in logs
    Joe Weinstein Expert
    You can't without support asking questions and guiding you through analysis. Your server logs should show
    various symptoms before the disable, that indicate the DBMS problems that caused it...
  • 4. Re: Weblogic 10.3.0 : Pool Disabled Exception in logs
    906503 Newbie
    Hi Joe,

Thanks a lot for your help. Would it be possible for you to let me know the symptoms? Basically i do not want to lose any time before Oracle provides any patch for this. This process might take weeks i wanted to do research from my end till then. :)
  • 5. Re: Weblogic 10.3.0 : Pool Disabled Exception in logs
    Joe Weinstein Expert
    as I said, it'd be symptoms of connection tests failing, and connection requests failing after that.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points