4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 19, 2012 11:54 PM by 930835 RSS

is possible control tape library slot 1 - 10 for file system backup

xiaodi
      hi ..

i am new to osb , i just install and setup osb , i have a question as below , hope expert can help me

env: testing

rhel 5.5
      tape library with 20 slot
      file system backup

1. is possible osb only use slot 1 - 10 for file system backup ? amanda can control slot x - slot y for the configuration .

2. how do i label the tape for slot 1 - slot 10 by obtool ? how to control osb auto load the tape for next backup ? where to check the log say that next tape is tape-02 ?

thanks ..
        • 1. Re: is possible control tape library slot 1 - 10 for file system backup
          dcooksey
          Not really sure about the question...

1) You can assign a use list for a tape drive...for example, if you want tape drive A to only use slots 1-10
          2) Why do you want to assign specific tapes? OSB will automatically select tape for backup operation and assign to media family designated for that backup

Donna
          • 2. Re: is possible control tape library slot 1 - 10 for file system backup
            xiaodi
            hi dcooksey

how do i use list for a tape drive...for example, if you want tape drive A to only use slots 1-10 from obtool or webtool ?

becoz i new to backup solution & osb ( i always use ghost or acronis to clone the image ) , my thinking as below , pls correct me if i am wrong

slot 1 - 10 for daily backup
            slot 11-16 for full system backup
            slot 17 - 20 reserve ( this tape only use for full system backup before perform any application upgrade patches , )

daily backup mon - fri ( 2 week ) ( no backup on saturday and sunday ) , server application offline
            full system backup friday ( 1 , 14 on calendar ) every 2 week perform full system backup after daily backup completed

for upgrade application ,
            perform full system backup after daily backup , then release the server to application team to perform upgrading .

so how to set my media family for the above setting ? the slot configuration is control by media family ?

hope you can help ...
            • 3. Re: is possible control tape library slot 1 - 10 for file system backup
              Hi

It is possible, but you need to relabel the Volume " Use the labelvol command to load selected volumes and write a volume label to each volume ". ( be sure that no data inside those volume because it will erase all the data ).
              In general operation , OSB will manage the tape's ( Managing and giving volume id's), and You want to reserve the volume for use in a particular media family, prelabeling the volume restricts its use to the media family.

Best Regards
              ASA
              • 4. Re: is possible control tape library slot 1 - 10 for file system backup
                Hi

It is possible, but you need to relabel the Volume " Use the labelvol command to load selected volumes and write a volume label to each volume ". ( be sure that no data inside those volume because it will erase all the data ).
                In general operation , OSB will manage the tape's ( Managing and giving volume id's), and You want to reserve the volume for use in a particular media family, prelabeling the volume restricts its use to the media family.

Best Regards
                ASA