7 Replies Latest reply: Oct 29, 2012 4:23 AM by PriyankaP RSS

Issue migrating reports with Graphical features.

Hi guys,
      I am working on migrating reports from 10g to 11g and I have an issue with the reports which contains a Graph. They are giving the following error when I run them against the 11g report server(they are running fine against the 10g server with out any issues)

The report terminated with error:
      REP-56048: Engine rwEng-1 crashed., job Id: 24.

I have searched on Google, for a solution to fix them, the closest I found was Installing Oracle Graphics 6i engine in a separate Oracle Home, but this was said for 9i and 10g, you can find that in the below oracle document:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/middleware/reports/graph-faq-with-style-094084.html#q101

Does anyone know, if I can Install Oracle Graphics 6i engine in a separate Oracle Home for 11g too?, to make them work at least, if not modifying the existing ones?

Thanks,
      Sona.
        • 1. Re: Issue migrating reports with Graphical features.
          Rzuluaga - Oracle-Oracle
          Hi Sona,
          unfortunately installing Graphics 6i in a separate OH for 11g wont work. This option was only possible until Reports 10g as a temporary option while migrating to the new BI beans graphing functionality included in 10gR2 and 11g.

Reference
          http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/middleware/reports/graph-faq-with-style-094084.html

Migrating Oracle Graphics 6i charts

How do I migrate my charts from Oracle Graphics to the new graph format in Oracle9i Reports or Oracle Reports 10g?

Oracle9i Reports Release 1 onwards, Oracle Graphics has been desupported. Oracle9i Reports and Oracle Reports 10g use BI Beans to generate graphs. Because of the underlying technology, there is no direct migration path from Oracle Graphics to the BI Bean graphing functionality. As such, the user will need to rewrite all of their graphs using the new Graph Wizard within the Reports Builder.

Top of Page

Can I still run my existing Oracle Reports Developer 6i reports containing Oracle Graphics charts in Oracle Reports?

As noted in the Oracle Reports Statement of Direction, Oracle Graphics is no longer shipped with Oracle Reports. However, as part of the migration path, you can still run Oracle Graphics charts in Oracle Reports if you install the Oracle Graphics 6i engine in a separate Oracle Home. You should only maintain Oracle Graphics 6i as a temporary measure while you redesign your charts using the new Graph Wizard. For further details on how to configure Oracle to use Oracle Graphics 6i, please see the Graphics Migration section in the Oracle9i Application Server Migration from Oracle9iAS Release 1 (1.0.2.2.x) to Release 2 (9.0.2) manual.

Top of Page

Can I modify or add Oracle Graphics 6i charts to my reports with Oracle9i Reports or Oracle Reports 10g?

No. You must have a separate installation of Oracle Graphics 6i Builder in order to modify your existing Oracle Graphics 6i charts since Oracle Graphics is not shipped with Oracle Reports. We strongly recommend that you migrate your charts to the new standard in Oracle Reports.

Thanks, RZ
          • 3. Re: Issue migrating reports with Graphical features.
            Hi Roberto,
            Do you have any idea on how to use BI Beans?

Thnx.
            • 4. Re: Issue migrating reports with Graphical features.
              Rzuluaga - Oracle-Oracle
              Hi Sona,
              use the Graphic Wizard from Reports Builder that uses BI Beans graphics technology . That would be the best approach in your case.

Regards, roberto
              • 5. Re: Issue migrating reports with Graphical features.
                Just for clarification, don't I need to install BI beans? Is it an in-built technology in 11g Reports builder?
                • 6. Re: Issue migrating reports with Graphical features.
                  Rzuluaga - Oracle-Oracle
                  Hi Sona,
                  correct, it is built in in Reports Builder.

1- Having a data model Go to the paper layout
                  2- See the Graph icon on the left
                  3- Click on it and then draw a section in the layout and the wizard will be displayed
                  4- Follow steps in wizard and you will get a chart.

Hope this helps, Roberto
                  • 7. Re: Issue migrating reports with Graphical features.
                    PriyankaP
                    Hi,

Can we convert Oracle 6i Graphical reports to 10g? If Yes, which steps need to be done here?

Thanks
                    KM