This discussion is archived
1 Reply Latest reply: Jul 3, 2012 8:20 AM by gdarling - oracle RSS

Install ODP.NET only

ysri Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,
in our organization the IT team pre-installs Oracle 11gR2 client on our machines and the home directory is:
C:\oracle\product\11.2.0\client_1
It doesn't come with Oracle Data Providers for .NET

Now, i want to instruct developers in my team to download and add the ODP.NET so that the .net tools can work with these

I see that ODP.NET comes as part of ODAC and the installer installs Oracle Instant Client at C:\apps\<user>
This makes the tnsnames in the original installation path invisible.
I will then have to ask developers to change the default home to the new one (Instant Client) and add tnsnames again, and they will not like it,
because of technical 'complexity' and the fear of not having client features in Instant Client that the original client had

How can i install ODP.NET alone without having to install all the other components of ODAC?

More specifically i am only interested in adding 'Oracle Data Provider for .NET 4 11.2.0.3.0'

Thanks,
-srinivas yelamanchili
  • 1. Re: Install ODP.NET only
    gdarling - oracle Expert
    Currently Being Moderated
    11203 ODP has a dependency on 11203 client, is that what they already have installed?

You don't have to "change the default home to the new one" as
    1) that happens automatically when you install.
    2) ODP.NET doesn't need to be the default home.

However, you may want to change the default home BACK to the old one depending upon what products you're using out of that home. You may also need to remove the ODP publisher policy files if you have apps that need the old version of ODP.
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/windows/faq-093106.html#policy

The best solution here is simply to add ODAC into a new home and create a new tnsnames.ora (or create TNS_ADMIN environment variable to point to the location of the other home instead).

Hope it helps,
    Greg

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points